Jump to content
garybrun

Wonderful World Live - Odd René Andersen

Recommended Posts


This is a track I recorded live in 2016 which I have come back to and remixed.
I have left some of the plosives in...  I believe it gives it more of that live sound.
Is the tube chain giving too much distortion?
Thanks for taking the time to listen.

 

Edited by garybrun
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Gary, I'm on laptop so I can easily hear the plosives but they didn't bother me that much because I really enjoyed the performance. By 'tube' you mean tube gear or emu? That's more of a taste option but I liked what I heard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Hidden Symmetry said:

Hi Gary, I'm on laptop so I can easily hear the plosives but they didn't bother me that much because I really enjoyed the performance. By 'tube' you mean tube gear or emu? That's more of a taste option but I liked what I heard.

Thanks for taking the time to listen.
I am using I.K. Multimedia Tubes  (just trying them out) and they seem to enhance the bass quite a bit... so I dialled it all down as I listed in my van and on headphone... it was miles out!!  On this mix I am using Alitverb  (little for a more live atmosphere), on the master buss goes Slate Digital Fresh (Little more top) Soothe...  just to do what soothe does!! mixed via Slate VSX.

On my monitors I do here quite a few plosives...  but I dont want to make it perfect.
My reference track is this one  (but Im more top heavy)  Super sexy voice!!
Sounds better on Spotify though...  https://open.spotify.com/track/5IOBG1sXMviaMar5KSXl8O?si=coWYj8RSRLuDx07_H5GaWw

 

Edited by garybrun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds great here Gary. 

Like you say, leave in some of the imperfections - gives it character

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought that was a wonderful recording , I especially liked the guitar rendition. It sure was nice hearing a live performance with real people in the background. Very impressive ..  mark

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mark skinner said:

I thought that was a wonderful recording , I especially liked the guitar rendition. It sure was nice hearing a live performance with real people in the background. Very impressive ..  mark

Thank you @mark skinner for taking the time to listen.

When doing live sound engineering I like to have two mics stage left and right and two mics at the back left and right.
I use these for the IEM which gives the artist more feeling and not like they are locked out from audience.
If someone speaks on the left...  they can literally hear it in their ears.
Not many artists like IEMs..  but they have never really had the engineer mix it correctly for them.
I have my own IEMs which have built in Condenser Mics... love them!!!
Which just gave me an idea... maybe I could use these as a binaural recording device...   mmmm!! 

The brushes you hear are a set of congas for the lead singer..  miced up with a single condenser mic.

The upside of this was I was using my Presonus Studio Live III mixer which allowed me to record all of those channels...  hence this mix.

 

Edited by garybrun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, garybrun said:

The upside of this was I was using my Presonus Studio Live III mixer which allowed me to record all of those channels...  hence this mix.

cool

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought that you did a great job on this.  I am a fan of live performances and not so much for "over-production" on some of the commercial stuff put out.  I guess that is why I like the old time Blues, early R 'n R, etc.  Your recording of this performance captured a great balance between the humanity of a live performance and the art of a studio production.  Well done!!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gary

Sounded really good to me - great performance well captured and mixed - i wouldn't change anything

Great Job

Nigel

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really enjoyed this . you got talent mate and what a great voice to record ! As a comment I would have cut the bass quite a bit but that would have been a BIG mistake, having listened to this. I love the ambience of this mix and stereo separation. Kudos for the vocal work, you did a dam good job because that's a powerful voice and getting rid of the 'plosive' content would ruin the whole thing   .. (did I just go out for the evening ? 'cause it feels like it ).LOL

Wouldn't expect anything else from you .. great job ...getting gushy again tush 🙄

Stay well my friend

Steve

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, SupaReels said:

Really enjoyed this . you got talent mate and what a great voice to record ! As a comment I would have cut the bass quite a bit but that would have been a BIG mistake, having listened to this. I love the ambience of this mix and stereo separation. Kudos for the vocal work, you did a dam good job because that's a powerful voice and getting rid of the 'plosive' content would ruin the whole thing   .. (did I just go out for the evening ? 'cause it feels like it ).LOL

Wouldn't expect anything else from you .. great job ...getting gushy again tush 🙄

Stay well my friend

Steve

Arg.... shucks
My brother from another mother  🙂
Thgnks a lot 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Douglas Kirby said:

An impressive live performance - nice job. Regarding the mix, I didn't hear too much distortion, as you mentioned.

Thanks Douglas for taking the time to listen and comment.
On my monitors there is a little..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Starise said:

Very well done Gary!

Thanks for commenting and lending your ears 🙂
Appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gary I'll just echo what has already been said and add a couple 👍's.

t

had to come back and say that desk of yours is amazing....

Edited by DeeringAmps
added comment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

Gary I'll just echo what has already been said and add a couple 👍's.

t

had to come back and say that desk of yours is amazing....

Thanks so much @DeeringAmps
I must admit the desk is my pride and joy...  and the chair...unbelievable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great performance.  Nice live take.

Lots of plosives. S @1:46  Colors @2:07 P? in the Sky @2:13 Sounds like you have to much of a good thing. I would probably edit those with envelopes and back up the tubes a little.

Max Arwood

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...