Wonderful World Live - Odd René Andersen

garybrun

This is a track I recorded live in 2016 which I have come back to and remixed.
I have left some of the plosives in...  I believe it gives it more of that live sound.
Is the tube chain giving too much distortion?
Thanks for taking the time to listen.

Edited by garybrun
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, Hidden Symmetry said:

Hi Gary, I'm on laptop so I can easily hear the plosives but they didn't bother me that much because I really enjoyed the performance. By 'tube' you mean tube gear or emu? That's more of a taste option but I liked what I heard.

Thanks for taking the time to listen.
I am using I.K. Multimedia Tubes  (just trying them out) and they seem to enhance the bass quite a bit... so I dialled it all down as I listed in my van and on headphone... it was miles out!!  On this mix I am using Alitverb  (little for a more live atmosphere), on the master buss goes Slate Digital Fresh (Little more top) Soothe...  just to do what soothe does!! mixed via Slate VSX.

On my monitors I do here quite a few plosives...  but I dont want to make it perfect.
My reference track is this one  (but Im more top heavy)  Super sexy voice!!
Sounds better on Spotify though...  https://open.spotify.com/track/5IOBG1sXMviaMar5KSXl8O?si=coWYj8RSRLuDx07_H5GaWw

Edited by garybrun

1 hour ago, mark skinner said:

I thought that was a wonderful recording , I especially liked the guitar rendition. It sure was nice hearing a live performance with real people in the background. Very impressive ..  mark

Thank you @mark skinner for taking the time to listen.

When doing live sound engineering I like to have two mics stage left and right and two mics at the back left and right.
I use these for the IEM which gives the artist more feeling and not like they are locked out from audience.
If someone speaks on the left...  they can literally hear it in their ears.
Not many artists like IEMs..  but they have never really had the engineer mix it correctly for them.
I have my own IEMs which have built in Condenser Mics... love them!!!
Which just gave me an idea... maybe I could use these as a binaural recording device...   mmmm!! 

The brushes you hear are a set of congas for the lead singer..  miced up with a single condenser mic.

The upside of this was I was using my Presonus Studio Live III mixer which allowed me to record all of those channels...  hence this mix.

Edited by garybrun

I thought that you did a great job on this.  I am a fan of live performances and not so much for "over-production" on some of the commercial stuff put out.  I guess that is why I like the old time Blues, early R 'n R, etc.  Your recording of this performance captured a great balance between the humanity of a live performance and the art of a studio production.  Well done!!

• Thanks 1

Really enjoyed this . you got talent mate and what a great voice to record ! As a comment I would have cut the bass quite a bit but that would have been a BIG mistake, having listened to this. I love the ambience of this mix and stereo separation. Kudos for the vocal work, you did a dam good job because that's a powerful voice and getting rid of the 'plosive' content would ruin the whole thing   .. (did I just go out for the evening ? 'cause it feels like it ).LOL

Wouldn't expect anything else from you .. great job ...getting gushy again tush 🙄

Stay well my friend

Steve

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SupaReels said:

Really enjoyed this . you got talent mate and what a great voice to record ! As a comment I would have cut the bass quite a bit but that would have been a BIG mistake, having listened to this. I love the ambience of this mix and stereo separation. Kudos for the vocal work, you did a dam good job because that's a powerful voice and getting rid of the 'plosive' content would ruin the whole thing   .. (did I just go out for the evening ? 'cause it feels like it ).LOL

Wouldn't expect anything else from you .. great job ...getting gushy again tush 🙄

Stay well my friend

Steve

Arg.... shucks
My brother from another mother  🙂
Thgnks a lot 

• Haha 1