All Organ Plugins Leave Hung Note When Transport Stops

Every organ plugin I've tried leaves the last notes played still playing after stopping playing. It's obvious they do not receive that final "note off" command but there is nothing I know to do about it. There used to be a setting, as far as I can remember, the sent those events when this happens. I can also turn the notes off my doing a "sweep" up and down my keyboard controller on the specific notes that are hung. What I find strange is that it happens with all the organ plugins I've tried which means it has to be a problem with Sonar.

Sonar 8.5

• 2 weeks later...

Is this specific to one project?  If so examine the MIDI event list for sustain pedal events that do not have an off?

Clutching at straws some organ VSTi use the sustain pedal for Leslie speed. If you have imported MIDI from elsewhere it may contain unexpected sustain events. If the original finished on a fast Leslie speed there would be no sustain off.

Its certainly not normal behaviour. Its been a long time since I used Sonar 8.5 but I used organ plugins a lot and still do in Cakewalk by Bandlab and never such a problem.

Clutching at more straws I once had a problem with a faulty controller keyboard chucking out spurious controller data ( probably due to a faulty pot.) I had to edit the MIDI event list to remove it. I replaced the keyboard and the fault went away.

If the track is in focus data from the controller can affect the VST so its possible spurious events may not appear in the event list.

One thing to try is unplugging the sustain pedal and recording a new piece.  A defective switch or dirty contacts in the pedal could cause spurious data. 

Another thing to try is disconnect the keyboard and create a track in a new project in piano roll view.  Does the problem persist?

First, make sure the "zero controllers on stop" option is checked. In CbB that's on the Preferences -> Project -> MIDI page. I don't remember where it is in 8.5. This will prevent the most common CC64 issues.

You can also try increasing the size of your MIDI playback buffers. This defaults, IIRC, to 200 ms. Some users report fewer problems after setting that to 500 ms or more. However, this is usually recommended for when notes are intermittently missed during playback. Still, I've seen reports of changing MIDI buffers unexpectedly resolving other issues.

Sometimes, this can be a symptom of a system problem such as very high DPC latency. Probably not your problem, but it's always a good idea to check your latency occasionally using LatencyMon.

I have also had this happen due to a malfunctioning sustain pedal. If you're using a keyboard controller or synthesizer that has a sustain pedal, try unplugging it and see if the problem persists.

Note that this problem is not unique to organs, it's just more likely to be noticeable because organ notes don't have fixed decay and release values, being just on and off.

FYI, CC121 is the "reset all controllers" MIDI command, and CC123 is the "all notes off" command. Not gonna help in this scenario, though.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...