Mackie Control no longer working with Cakewalk

Frank DeFede

I have a Mackie Control surface that is no longer working Cakewalk.  I am familiar with how it sets up etc. I've always gotten it to work in the past.   I think I know how to set it up as I have done so many times in the past.  Is it possible the new versions of cakewalk have a problem with the Mackie control surface setup?   I doubt it but, this is an old unit maybe like 12 years old.   Maybe not supported anymore?  I use the Presonus Firestudio external sound card midi in and out to go to the Mackie Control.  Both of these units are old, but they always worked before.  Maybe I just forgot how to set it up?

Here is my setup:  Mackie Control midi output to the Presonus Firestudio midi in, and then the Firestudio midi out back to the Mackie control surface midi in.

When I go into the prefaces it is showing the Mackie Control XT-1, in port Tube Midi, out port Tube midi.  But, wen I put up control surface it just says CONNECTING.

Any suggestion please are much appreciated.

UPDATE:  I was able to get it to connect, but now instead of seeing the 1st track it is starting with the 17th track.  The 1st two banks of tracks 1 through 16 are not available.  I must still have something wrong.  However, I can switch banks and see all tracks from 17 on up.  

Any suggestions on this is also appreciated.

Thank You!

Edited by Frank DeFede

I think your connection is  wrong,   mine looks  like what is below.   I am  using a Roland Octa-Capture.                                     

Controller / Surface        |     in port               |               out port

Mackie Control                  Mackie MCU in          Mackie MCU out

Check you Bank buttons on you MCU

Mackie Control: BANK LEFT and BANK RIGHT Buttons

The Mackie Control provides eight sets of channel strip controls, allowing you to edit eight corresponding channels. The BANK LEFT and BANK RIGHT buttons let you move between “banks” of eight channel strips. For example, if you are editing channel strips 1–8, pressing the BANK RIGHT button moves to channel strips 9–16. Pressing BANK RIGHT again moves to channel strips 17–24. Pressing BANK LEFT returns to channel strips 9–16, then to 1–8 with one more button press.

If you are using a control surface group, the BANK LEFT and BANK RIGHT buttons shift the active channel strips by the total number of channels in the control surface group. For example, if you have a Mackie Control and two Mackie Control XT units, the view shifts by 24 channels—the total number of channels in the control surface group.

The BANK buttons always change channel strips in groups of eight, unless the last channel strips do not make a complete group of eight. For example, if a project has 19 channel strips, and the Mackie Control is controlling channel strips 1 to 8:

Pressing the BANK RIGHT button shifts to channel strips 9 to 16.

Pressing the BANK RIGHT button again shifts to channel strips 12 to 19.

Pressing the BANK LEFT button shifts back to channel strips 9 to 16, not 4 to 11.

This way, you always revert to the channel strips you expect to find, and are comfortable with.

4 hours ago, Frank DeFede said:

UPDATE:  I was able to get it to connect, but now instead of seeing the 1st track it is starting with the 17th track.  The 1st two banks of tracks 1 through 16 are not available.  I must still have something wrong.  However, I can switch banks and see all tracks from 17 on up.  

Any suggestions on this is also appreciated.

Make sure Mackie Control is the first device in you Control Surfaces list - it sounds like it might be the 3rd in the list.

Alternatively, go to the Mackie Control panel (Utilities menu->Mackie Control) and click the "Configure Layout" button on the bottom right. Then turn the v-pot on channel 1 to the right until the tracks show 1-9. Then click the button again, and save your preset.