PC4K S-Type Bus Compressor on Master Bus- Sidechain/HPF usage question

Gary Shore

Question

Greetings to everyone -been a minute but again want to thank all the people who invariably take the time to help me figure things out whenever I post over here....

Looking at master bus processing and have been trying to figure out the type of thing that goes on when you activate the sidechain function/set a given HPF frequency and  set up the sidechain send from a given bus to the master....

My focus has been on the difference between compressor types that have a switchable on/off HPF function w/out this being connected to sidechaining vs.how things work w/the PC4K S-Type Bus Compr re-

If I'm understanding things correctly,instead of the usual sidechain approach where-

a given bus is set up to be ducked in relation to another(i.e.bass sidechained to kick) where a compressor is set up on the bass bus then sidechained to the kick bus w/a send from it going to the sidechain compressor on the bass bus and where all the compressor settings are set up for sidechaining ....

Here on the other hand,in the case of a master bus approach w/all the buses routed to it,only HPF is involved in the sidechaining;although the same "send to sidechain from individual bus"approach is involved,since it's the master bus w/all buses going to it,would I be correct that-

The compressor settings apply to all the tracks + only the specific buses set up w/sidechaining trigger this HPF effect (resulting in  compression being inactive on the given frequency range just for these),while the other buses routed to the master not set up w/sidechaining have the same frequency range ID'd for HPF on the ones set up for sidechaining unaffected by this HPF and consequently recieve compression over the whole frequency range?

Or does setting up the sidechain/HPF for a given bus mean that this is applied across the board to all signals going into the master bus,so all buses are only compressed in the same frequency range above the HPF?

Edited by Gary Shore

3 answers to this question

here's the doc: https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=ProChannel.05.html

the HPF allows you to limit the top frequency used to trigger the side chain - let's suppose you have some bleed from a snare on a kick, you might turn the HPF down so the snare is not triggering and only allow the kick signal to trigger.

Appreciate you taking the time to reply w/the link and info about HPF usage in general....actually looking for more specific info about how this stuff works on the master bus where only some buses are set up to go to the sidechain input and have this HPF applied....