V Vocal Editor will not open

John Martelli

I downloaded bandlab and it works fine except for V vocal which I use extensively. It shows up in the FX region. I try to create the region but the editor never opens in the multidock. I followed everything in the documentation and searched threads but I am at a standstill. Any help would be much appreciated.

First, confirm that Cronus is not excluded in the plugin manager. Its a DXi plugin so look at each DXi group and click on Show Excluded. If it is, remove that exclusion.

Is there any chance the song was saved with an open region? If so, remove any existing regions.

Are you trying to open a clip longer than around ten seconds? Try a shorter clip.

V-Vocal is well known for being unreliable and one day it will start working with no indication of why.

Edited by Terry Kelley

Thanks Terry That indeed did happen it just started working out of nowhere. I was thinking about  purchasing melodyne essentials but read that v-vocal has many more usable options than the watered down melodyne version and the full program is just way to expensive. Do you have any insight or opinion on this.

43 minutes ago, Terry Kelley said:

First, confirm that Cronus is not excluded in the plugin manager. Its a DXi plugin so look at each DXi group and click on Show Excluded. If it is, remove that exclusion.

Cronus is on the Exclude list by design.

There is no reason to remove it from the Excluded list. 

It is not a regular DX plug-in intended to show up in plug-in layouts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Martelli said:

Thanks Terry That indeed did happen it just started working out of nowhere. I was thinking about  purchasing melodyne essentials but read that v-vocal has many more usable options than the watered down melodyne version and the full program is just way to expensive. Do you have any insight or opinion on this.

I use the crap out of V-Vocal when it works. I also love it's pitch to midi function. I haven't used Melodyne but many people swear by it. I agree that Melodyne is pricey for what it does but it could just be that I am cheap.

V-Vocal has issues (for over a decade) with no clear resolution in sight. People have suggested many, many "fixes" but I think they work out of randomness. I get the C000000005 (memory violation) crash in both Cronus (mostly) and VpEnc (occasionally). I've tried a lot of different things to isolate the cause without any success. On the other hand, there are people that NEVER have a problem with it.  I suspect they don't load up a project like I do. Updating or rolling back DirectX never fixed it. You just have to check periodically if it's working.

I've learned to:

1. Use it only on very short clips. Under 10 seconds if possible.

2. Render the clip immediately after editing and save the file.

3. Don't leave any clips open in V-Vocal unless you are editing them at the moment. Either remove the region or render it.

4. Don't try to have more than one editor open at a time. Sometimes this work but often I get an empty editor (no wave in it.)

5.  If you start getting the empty editor:

a. Look for a clip that still has a region open for it.

b. Bounce a mono clip to stereo and then back to mono, bounce it to a clip and try creating the region again. If you have a stereo clip, but try bouncing to a clip (which really doesn't nothing if only one clip is selected from what I can tell.) I have no idea why this works. It too could be V-Vocal randomness at work.

c. Some people have claimed V-Vocal needs a high amplitude wave to work. Maybe so but I've never seen this and increasing the gain (or normalizing) never fixes any V-Vocal issues.

6. If V-Vocal starts crashing, I copy the clip to a new project and edit it there then copy it back. This implies that V-Vocal's place in memory is at risk as more things get added to a project (like effects, VSTs, waves, etc.) Restarting Cakewalk and/or rebooting never fixes anything.

Here's an interesting read from nearly 15 years ago. http://forum.cakewalk.com/V-Vocal-clips-m855325.aspx

Edited by Terry Kelley
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, John Martelli said:

I downloaded bandlab and it works fine except for V vocal which I use extensively. It shows up in the FX region. I try to create the region but the editor never opens in the multidock. I followed everything in the documentation and searched threads but I am at a standstill. Any help would be much appreciated.

Have you installed the 64-bit version of V-Vocal from Sonar X2 or earlier?

On 2/12/2021 at 9:26 AM, Will_Kaydo said:

V.Vocal was cool when it was launched. Since then, there has been great paid editors developed. 

I recently discovered a free pitch editor, for vocals and instruments much like melodyne works and it sounds great!

Give it a try: 

Download Vieklang 2 Harmony Editor here for FREE!

Both versions are paid.

3 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Good luck getting LV2 plugins working on Windows.

You know, there's great video's online that shows you how to unpack it. Might wana look in to that. 

and try this when you do. 

git clone git://github.com/x42/fat1.lv2.git cd fat1.lv2 make submodules make sudo make install PREFIX=/usr.

Also download the jackaudio file from their site and connect to its server. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

1 hour ago, Will_Kaydo said:

You know, there's great video's online that shows you how to unpack it. Might wana look in to that. 

and try this when you do. 

git clone git://github.com/x42/fat1.lv2.git cd fat1.lv2 make submodules make sudo make install PREFIX=/usr.

Also download the jackaudio file from their site and connect to its server. 

That would require me installing git and setting up a whole build environment. I just want to make music.