Volume automation vs. fader moves

Starship Krupa

Question

I'm only now getting into track automation, with my "rock" projects in the past I've handled dynamics with compression and clip automation. Now I'm doing more electronic stuff and getting into track automation.

At the moment I'm trying to figure out how to be able to adjust the overall level of the track after I've done some volume automation. What happens is that I'll solo the track and work out the automation, then later decide I want the whole track louder or softer in the mix.

So: How do I keep my automation and still be able to adjust the track's level relative to the other tracks in the project? Is there a mode where the faders still control overall level and the automation is relative to that? An easy way to adjust all of the automation moves at once?

7 answers to this question

Other ways

• use the gain knob if adjusting volume is OK before plug-ins
  • add a plug-in to the end of the effects such as an empty FX chain or one of Blue Cat's free gain plug-ins. I like the Blue Cat gain plug-ins because they have built-in grouping.
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

I messed around trying to do this, but I couldn't figure out how to select the whole track. Do I need to switch to the Select Tool instead of the Smart Tool?

In Track View, change the drop down from clip to the automation you wish to adjust. Click on the track's number, the square box,  it changes colour and then the whole track is selected. With the Move tool instead of Smart Tool, you can click/drag the entire envelope. Or with the Smart Tool, hold control down while click/dragging the envelope.

I prefer to send the track to a bus, and simply increase/decrease the fader there on this bus, which then goes to the master bus.

• Like 1

I'll try working in offset mode first and see if I hit any snags. I saw it in the documentation, but couldn't quite figure out from reading what it does.

Thanks for all the suggestions, it never ceases to amaze how many ways there are to accomplish a task with Cakewalk!

Edited by Starship Krupa
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

I'll try working in offset mode first and see if I hit any snags. I saw it in the documentation, but couldn't quite figure out from reading what it does.

Thanks for all the suggestions, it never ceases to amaze how many ways there are to accomplish a task with Cakewalk!

I find the most important thing to remember when working in offset mode is : remember to turn it back off immediately after working the  fader or parameter you're offsetting. I've forgotten on a few occasions and ended up goofing up a bunch of other things unintentionally.  To select the whole track - I dbl click the track number. Sometimes it's a good idea to zoom out to make sure the whole time line is selected. You will notice that all nodes in the automation lane changes to a highlight color, telling you that they're selected.

• Like 1