Copying tracks from one project to another

msmcleod

I originally posted this as an answer in another thread, but it struck me it should be made available here...

Copying tracks from one project to another needs to be done in two steps:

• Using Track Templates to copy your ProChannel settings, and VST instrument & effects settings
  • Using Copy Special / Paste Special to copy the actual track data (e.g. MIDI events, audio, automation etc)

The steps are as follows:

• Open up both source & destination projects (Note: "Allow only one open project at a time" must be unchecked within Preferences->File->Advanced)
  • Select the tracks from the source project, and save as a track template.  Consider using the same template file every time in the root of the Track Templates folder (overwriting it each time), so you don't need to search for it.
  • "Copy Special" the tracks from the source project
  • Insert the track template into the destination project
  • "Paste Special" the tracks into the tracks on the destination project that were created by the template
  • If you copied instrument tracks, extra audio tracks are created at the end - you can delete these.

copy_tracks_and_track_data.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Astra-Ios said:

Howdy,

and does this method also work when the track carries envelopes and takes?

C U 😃

Good question. The answer is sort of, and yes.

Take lanes do get copied across. Envelopes get copied as well for standard audio & MIDI tracks.

However, for instrument tracks any automation lanes end up in an additional MIDI track that is created, holding only the automation lanes. What you then have to do is do a copy special / paste special of the automation track into the original instrument track.

Another observation: When you initially do your paste special of the track data, it doesn't look like the lanes have been copied over. However clicking the take lanes button to hide and re-show the take lanes makes the extra take lanes appear.

• Like 1

* in addition to the first step you discribed:

To  copy envelopes I had to check the new created preset section inthe synthrack. (it was empty and blank in my setup)

Otherwise no envelopes, even no synthassignment in the automation box.

Edited by Astra-Ios

for me copying lanes only worked out, when I prepare the new pasted template track with the same number of takelanes as in the original track.

It is so easy to describe it in german - I hate translate it into something like british  😥

Edited by Astra-Ios

• 2 years later...