Direct sidechaining routing options from plugin

solarlux

11 minutes ago, GreenLight said:

+111 😅

I have been wanting this for years! It would not just be faster to use, but it would also help to faster understand routing in a project (that you haven't worked on for a long time)...

I know its from Studio one but maybe STudio one adapted it from other DAW? Maybe someone knows which DAW  have this option first of all?

• Like 2

Logic has had side-chain features since at least 2002 with Logic 5, when it was still developed by Emagic. According to SOS it was just for Logic's internal plugins in the beginning, though. And since 2005 I believe Logic could side-chain other Audio Units plugins.

Logic definitely predated the "side-chain compression hysteria" in dance music that for example Eric Prydz' "Call On Me" helped to popularize in 2004. And around that time, or a couple of years later (Wikipedia says Cubase v4.1 from 2007) , Steinberg's VST standard started offering it to plugin developers and eventually side-chaining was everywhere, for good or bad... 😛

Image below from Sound On Sound in 2005:

image.png.a00aeda13499f4906567e9b0cd422773.png

Note: I have placed a few requests for this during the years, but they might be left in the old Sonar forums. There is already at least one Cakewalk feature request for this from Nov 2020:

7 minutes ago, GreenLight said:

Logic has had side-chain features since at least 2002 with Logic 5, when it was still developed by Emagic. According to SOS it was just for Logic's internal plugins in the beginning, though. And since 2005 I believe Logic could side-chain other Audio Units plugins.

Logic definitely predated the "side-chain compression hysteria" in dance music that for example Eric Prydz' "Call On Me" helped to popularize in 2004. And around that time, or a couple of years later (Wikipedia says Cubase v4.1 from 2007) , Steinberg's VST standard started offering it to plugin developers and eventually side-chaining was everywhere, for good or bad... 😛

Image below from Sound On Sound in 2005:

image.png.a00aeda13499f4906567e9b0cd422773.png

Note: I have placed a few requests for this during the years, but they might be left in the old Sonar forums. There is already at least one Cakewalk feature request for this from Nov 2020:

This could be big + to Cakewalk and i 'm pretty sure many will migrate to Cakewalk if some of these small things would be implemented. Thank you about info i like to read some history about this. Some of these small featuresw would be game changer i 'm pretty sure

Edited by solarlux
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

This would hardly be a game changer :) However we plan on doing it at some point. Its mainly a UI change but not that trivial to do.

Yes totally agree. This is not so important. Maybe for some who uses sidechain alot but mostly sidechaining not needing very much.It can be good for EDM producers and happy to hear about planning it in future.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

This would hardly be a game changer :) However we plan on doing it at some point. Its mainly a UI change but not that trivial to do.

I think it will be a game changer for certain electronic styles,  side-chaining is all over them and the easier you can make it the more you will attract those types of producers.

That's why there are a bunch of plugins that emulate side-chaining like  Kickstart , LFO tool , Duck etc. as it's often easier to drop one of those on a track.

Great to hear it's on the to do list, CW just gets better and better. How much do I need to bribe you to implement nested track folders ? 🤑

• Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 3:48 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

Nice! Great News. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

I think it will be a game changer for certain electronic styles,  side-chaining is all over them and the easier you can make it the more you will attract those types of producers.

That's why there are a bunch of plugins that emulate side-chaining like  Kickstart , LFO tool , Duck etc. as it's often easier to drop one of those on a track.

Great to hear it's on the to do list, CW just gets better and better. How much do I need to bribe you to implement nested track folders ? 🤑

Nested folders good idea in organization. Maybe  is even some better method than nested folders?

This would also be a QoL feature as well, since every bundled plugin in CbB doesn't look like it supports side chaining until you have it on one track and decide to send the audio of a track somewhere.

Think of all people that are using third party plugins for stuff the bundled plugins already do because some features are hidden behind menus.

• Great Idea 1

Genuine question for those requesting this (I think this may what Noel is alluding to): since CbB essentially creates a bus that can feed a sidechain input (so multiple tracks can feed the same sidechain with different levels), how would you represent this on a plug-in's GUI cleanly and clearly and without losing this functionality?

2 hours ago, Kevin Perry said:

Genuine question for those requesting this (I think this may what Noel is alluding to): since CbB essentially creates a bus that can feed a sidechain input (so multiple tracks can feed the same sidechain with different levels), how would you represent this on a plug-in's GUI cleanly and clearly and without losing this functionality?

Its only shortcut of sends and visual representation of status of channels with which sends made.Its nothing special. Imagine it as list of sends and list items can checked and unchecked.When check item or channel name then send made

Edited by solarlux

OK, I see: I don't think that's a good idea without immediately offering the level and pre/post settings - it's half-baked and will lead to more questions/poor usage.  And adding those extra controls in to a popup could easily become unwieldy.

1 hour ago, Kevin Perry said:

OK, I see: I don't think that's a good idea without immediately offering the level and pre/post settings - it's half-baked and will lead to more questions/poor usage.  And adding those extra controls in to a popup could easily become unwieldy.

Yes buty maybe in smart way this function can be better in Cakewalk its oppotunity toi refine this better : )

2 hours ago, Kevin Perry said:

Totally agree about that in studio one its half baked and looks like incomplete Many expierenced people here and we all can discuss together about features and figure them out with better flexibility

Edited by solarlux

5 hours ago, solarlux said:

Totally agree about that in studio one its half baked and looks like incomplete Many expierenced people here and we all can discuss together about features and figure them out with better flexibility

Half-baked may have been a bad choice of words, but if you have to go to 2 different places to adjust relevant parameters (and the places aren't immediately obviously linked without knowing how it works*), then it's a piece of bad UI in my opinion.

* And if you know you also need to go to the track's paramaters (CV or TV), then you know you need to go there, so why not just go there and not have the extra UI on the plugin 🙂

52 minutes ago, Kevin Perry said:

Half-baked may have been a bad choice of words, but if you have to go to 2 different places to adjust relevant parameters (and the places aren't immediately obviously linked without knowing how it works*), then it's a piece of bad UI in my opinion.

* And if you know you also need to go to the track's paramaters (CV or TV), then you know you need to go there, so why not just go there and not have the extra UI on the plugin 🙂

Yes but atleast visual representration with which channels compressor sidechained would be cool : )

• Like 1

@Kevin Perry
Lets say, we are making a trailer music and there is one bus to sidechain. We have a lot of percussion, and we're sending a number of them to the plugin that is performing sidechan compression. By the end of the production, if we want to check which tracks are being taken as input for sidechaining, we will have to go through all the tracks and check the send knobs. Also, that will not be the only send knob in a track. There will be atleast one more for the reverb bus.
If this feature is implemented, we can see all of them at a single place.