Latest Cake by Bandlab wont run

Martyn Roach

Iv'e never had this problem all the 20 or so years Ive used Cakewalk. It is used daily, but tonight it just wont run; I get a dialogue box stating there is a problem and shuts it down. I would appreciate any help if anyone has been in the same place.  I'm running latest windows, 2gb SSD , 32gb Ram, i5 processor.

The only thing I've done since last running it this morning, is to download the latest Garritan Orchestra and Player, Ive had it years but thought I would reinstall it tonight, for the Pipe Organs I have on it. Could this be the culprit. Oh, and this morning I was trying (unsuccessfully to get my A800 Pro midi keyboard to work in Cake as a controller. No joy.

Thanks in advance guys

Martyn UK

Edited by Martyn Roach

Often when Cakewalk crashes it is due to a faulty plug in. First thing I would try is remove the Garritan from the VST folder. Just put it somewhere else for now. Cakewalk is probably crashing on the VST scan. 

For the Roland keyboard make sure you download the latest midi driver for it. https://www.roland.com/ca/support/by_product/a-800pro/updates_drivers/

The latest version (and perhaps the one before) are not stable for me.  After the program launches, it never finishes initializing properly - the wait cursor keeps spinning off and on forever, "(not responding)" appears sporadically in the title bar.  When closing it (which was difficult), I would sometimes get a BSOD stating that the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT  I decided to to wipe my disk, reinstall W10 Pro, ASIO, my firewire interface and Cakewalk only, i.e. bare bones on an i7 32GB machine with a relatively new Samsung SSD.  I still get the same result.  Most distressing.   

Is it possible to download an earlier version??

UPDATE

I just launched Cakewalk for the first time this morning.  It worked perfectly.  I manage a desktop support team and have 40 year of IT consulting experience.  I hate it when this kind of thing happens.  I installed two new DAW trial versions this morning - that was the only change to my environment (no new Windows or Cakewalk updates). 

I unintalled the new DAWS and rebooted.  Cakewalk still works fine. 

I uninstalled/reinstalled the whole CW suite.  Still works fine.  I have no satisfying  explanation for the change in behavior.  Am debating if I am going to wipe the drive and start from scratch again.  I just might...this is really bugging me.

LATEST UPDATE

I started from scratch again to see what would happen (I had to know).   After reinstalling Windows, Windows updates, Dell drivers, ASIO, firewire interface, and Cakewalk.  I fired update Cakewalk and.....it was broken again and back to its erratic unstable behavior.  The laws of physics were working.

I then reinstalled the additional DAW software I had added after my first reinstall, checking after each step to see what made Cakewalk work again.  After my machine environment was back to the way it was a little earlier: Cakewalk is still not working.

I don't know what to say at this point.  Were the Keebler Elves too busy to make another house call again so soon?  Does the Cake need to sit in the oven overnight like it did last night for the magic to work?   All my other apps  are working fine.  There seems to be some fried binary somewhere.  I hope the Bandlab team can get to the bottom of it.

Edited by bcarswell
More New information

I have a similar problem just happened today. I did install a couple new VST's few days ago. Cakewalk was working this morning but it seemed unstable. Now when I try to open it as soon as it gets to scanning VST's then it closes down. I think I should remove the latest vst's but how to do that if I can't open Cakewalk to do that? Where can I find the vst's and remove them on my computer? Thanks in advance 

I think you can use Safe Mode to start CbB without VST's.

Hold Shift and start CbB and click Ok. Then on the start screen hold shift again when opening a project. Or hold shift while opening up an individual project file.

It will prompt you to load VST's 1 at a time or all or none at all.

1 hour ago, bcarswell said:

I have no satisfying  explanation for the change in behavior. 

Demons. That's the only logical explanation.

1 hour ago, dotonemanband said:

I have a similar problem just happened today. I did install a couple new VST's few days ago. Cakewalk was working this morning but it seemed unstable. Now when I try to open it as soon as it gets to scanning VST's then it closes down. I think I should remove the latest vst's but how to do that if I can't open Cakewalk to do that? Where can I find the vst's and remove them on my computer? Thanks in advance

There is no real reason to scan for VSTs every time you start up. Seeing as how CbB only started acting up with these new VSTs you got, you're on the right track; one of them is probably conflicting. 

Where to find them? Well that depends. They're supposed to go in c/program files/ steinberg/ vstplugins but developers stick them all kinds of everywhere.

thanks for these suggestions. I know where the vst's are ... programs files/steinburg/vstplugins. The plugins are labelled with  .dll   ... If I delete that type of file in program files on my C drive ... will they be automatically deleted when I open Cakewalk?

Edited by dotonemanband
Asking the question more adequately

Sometimes the reason for CbB not starting (not even the splash screen pops up) is an existing Cakewalk.exe process you can see in Task Manager, but which no longer has any visible windows left. Just had this today.

In this case, locate Cakewalk.exe in the Task Manager's Details tab, right click it and select End task. CbB will launch again after killing the process. Of course restarting the computer also helps, but is not necessary.

I guess CbB can only have one process instance running at any given time, thus it won't launch if it detects a process already exists.

This is the strangest thing. All day yesterday I couldn't get Cake to open. Then today opened the program with holding shift (thanks Kevin P) but got a message regarding I/O device error. So closed Cake to try another solution, attempted to open Cake like usual, and it's opened up to my project like nothing was ever wrong. Relieved that I can get to the project, although not convinced all's good after yesterday's frustration. Will update if problems persist. Thanks to the forum for helping out. Fingers crossed .... hmm

21 hours ago, bcarswell said:

The latest version (and perhaps the one before) are not stable for me.  After the program launches, it never finishes initializing properly - the wait cursor keeps spinning off and on forever, "(not responding)" appears sporadically in the title bar.  When closing it (which was difficult), I would sometimes get a BSOD stating that the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT  I decided to to wipe my disk, reinstall W10 Pro, ASIO, my firewire interface and Cakewalk only, i.e. bare bones on an i7 32GB machine with a relatively new Samsung SSD.  I still get the same result.  Most distressing.   

Is it possible to download an earlier version??

@bcarswell can you please capture a dump file while the app appears hung? Instructions in my signature.
Upload it to any file share and PM me a link. A full dump will be a large file so you can zip it.