Cannot Open Cakewalk

Mark D.

Just finished 100% installing and authorizing all plug ins for a new install of the latest Cakewalk by Bandlab. Still have Sonar Platinum (latest - before Gibson split), and then it opens.  Bandlab Cakewalk WAS working until I decided to set the VST to manual scan (the way I used to do it before I re-installed Windows 10 last week, and the way I've done it for many years). Now it hangs on the splash screen. After several minutes, I have to close it.  The Sonar splash screen is followed by the scanning of plug ins (I did not set its preferences to be manual, it still auto scans real time (at startup or with any changes). This clearly has to be what causes it. Is there a registry entry I can tweak to make the default go back to where that worked with its max scan setting (real time)? I have worked extensively in RegEdit, I'll be fine. It's moot to suggest this, but for God's sake, turning off a feature should not turn a supposedly improved & stable program into a brick. Now that it RUNS bug free - and a bit faster and better, and with better features, they must stop minor stuff like this from completely tanking it.

Edited by Mark D.

Thanks for your response again. I have made the above change. Still hanging on the splash until I end that. Can still open Sonar Platinum latest Gibson. Before when I had Bandlab opening fine 90% of the time, Sonar would not open. They aren't as compatible side by side perhaps. Worse - I can't uninstall Sonar as this nightmare scenario means I couldn't do anything at all. Thank God I am not in the middle of a client project. At least I have Sonar to still work in, until it would become obsolete. They need some kind of diagnostic software. While I'm more adept than the average user in computer hardware, software programming is not my thing. They way this gets set up - Windows can't troubleshoot it, and there isn't any kind of "repair install" where Bandlab's on-line host could install something that just puts back missing or wrong elements (like Win 10 and other programs can do). Failure to open means there is little I can do to fix this.

Edited by Mark D.

Not sure about this

16 minutes ago, Mark D. said:

They aren't as compatible side by side perhaps.

I have no problems running X2a, X3e, several versions of Platinum and CbB on the same machine. What they all have in common are the shared  utilities including the scanner. That said, there are a lot of PC setup permutations. Most are sufficiently similar to run relatively trouble free but there are exceptions.

Often a hang on startup is a driver problem or a hidden windows dialog. The most recent thread on CbB hanging is here

but your problem seems to be happening before this message.

It is. Task Manger shows nothing, must click on the splash which gives the closer or wait option lines. UPDATE. Just before I got here I tried to open Sonar, it would not. THEN I opened Cakewalk and it opened. Plug ins scanned. Life is good for the time being. A diagnostic would be huge. Shit, I will PAY Band Lab to develop it. Some kind of paid for live thing subscription service we can run from the web page, that I'd point to my Cakewalk Core install / main exe folder. It could find the issue and others unknown makinh for better future updates otherwise.  Did you once work for Twelve Tone Systems in their pre Gibson days?

Edited by Mark D.

5 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Which build of CbB are you running and what is your OS version?
This wont have anything to do with VST scanning. Likely your audio driver or a control surface is hanging.

Hello. I don't use a control surface. I think it could be related to my USB MIDI keyboard; IK 32 key. It did show issues a few of those times after the hang with that. I think this may be solved. Noel - I believe I met you at AES NY 2018. I was the ridiculously tall person there with my wife talking about making a change from final Gibson Sony Platinum version to BandLab Cakewalk. I think the suggestion above might be cool. When you log into BandLab and click Apps, a page pops up that lets you install - or advises you are up to date. That's great. Adding a button next to it saying diagnose may be handy if it can advise of problems a user has, or even ones they don't know about (yet). Once diagnosed each "problem" found has a blank check box, you check off each one you want it to repair. That could prompt to "back up just in case" (and come back and to it) but since the diagnostic would identify potential problems, it would likely only make the program run better, and not cause problems. The user just points to, or it finds it automatically, the Cakewalk Core or Install folder(s). It's an idea to consider.

Edited by Mark D.

If it happens again unplug your USB controller. I was thinking this after reading your first post. Only time a VST scan hangs anybody is if you have a dud VST in there, some crappy 32 bit freebee.  I have always set mine to manual scan. If it is set that way it won't hang due to a VST that's why I figured your barking up wrong tree. 

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...