Auto-saving too much?

jono grant

10 changes is pretty low and there may be plug-ins that are signalling the change counter. I turn off auto-save for changes by setting it to zero and use a lower setting for timed saves (currently set to 5 minutes).

Okay, thanks. It's a pretty big file with over 100 tracks etc. and many plugs. Perhaps an automation envelope on plugins might cause that do you think?

I assumed it would only consider manual changes made by the user.  It gives me something to test, thanks!

I will say that sometimes it will happen after not playing the file or anything for a minute or two, and when I return to do something it auto-saves.

Interesting indeed

Jono

1 hour ago, jono grant said:

I assumed it would only consider manual changes made by the user.

Plug-ins signal the host when they have been changed, otherwise; the host would not know about the changes. The change could be a user action or something automatic in the plug-in. The host has no idea what caused the plug-in to send the signal. This information is used to set the project dirty flag and trigger auto-saves.

FYI:
As far as I know sforzando (sfz player) is one of them which sending the change signal. So occurring frequently auto save with only project playing. I think there are other plug-ins that do the same behavior.

Control + S is my preference...

I disable autosave on every piece of software I have/use both as an amateur and a professional. I much rather have control over saving stuff than having software do that for me and, in some instances, cause a crash.

But, each to their own, as the saying goes.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, razor7music said:

I use the Ctrl+S habitually now

Like you say, @razor7music, it becomes second nature... I don't even think, "I'll just do a Ctrl+S at this point." As a result I probably save more than autosave...

A small story, to explain my Ctrl+S "habit."

I use AutoCAD in my profession. Some applications that piggyback onto AutoCAD reference an external database. Having autosave on doesn't help because the external database only gets saved during a "Save" or Ctrl+S command. So if a session crashes for some reason you cannot "rescue" the autosave file because it will be out of sync with the AutoCAD file. So autosave is turned off and woe betide anyone who says, "oops, I've just lost an hour's work because AutoCAD just crashed..."

So, yeah, it is kind if ingrained into my DNA now... Do something, Ctrl+S. Look out of the window, Ctrl+S. Boss asks, "how's things?" Ctrl+S :D