SSL UF8

cclarry

IMHO, the best value controller out there (if you don't mind not having motorized faders) is the Korg nanoKONTROL Studio.  The nanoKONTROL 2 is also very good value, but obviously you get limited control and the faders are very small.  I  regularly use both: the nanoKONTROL Studio is in my office, and the nanoKONTROL 2 is mounted on my studio wall next to my vocal mic so I have transport/mix control while I'm doing vocal takes.

The Presonus FaderPort 8/16 are excellent value and have native CbB/SONAR support. The only downside is the the "shared" v-pot for all channels. The desk footprint of the Faderport 16 is very small - it's almost the same as the original MCU - so you get 16 channels using up the same space the MCU uses for 8.

The Behringer X-Touch is also an excellent buy, and is the closest to a real MCU. You can get a CbB/SONAR overlay here: https://store.birchwoodstudioandevents.com/Sonar-Overlay which will ensure the buttons match what CbB is expecting. From what I can see, the X-Touch seems to have all of the MCU buttons so you should get support of all CbB's MCU functionality.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

D

2 minutes ago, Alexander Tomczak said:

Hi.

I`m new to Cakewalk and I´d like to know if anybody already got the UF8 up and running with the UF8. How do I start?

You have to put it if i recall well in mackie mode (the uf8) via the software (where you configurate your daw ) 

in sonar you selecte create a new devices in preferences control surfaces , choose mackie control and in input and ouput choose the uf8 , you might sometime need to relaucnh sonar and check ...not 100% sure but it s the way it s usually done ..

1 hour ago, Al3x said:

Hi.

Unfortunately there is no option where I can put the UF8 into a Mackie mode. You are talking about the SSL 360° Software right?

it's automatic according to the daw you chose , if you chose cubase it will do it or studio one , and then you will choose mackie control in sonar , the thing is that then you will have random results , since sonar seems not in the supported list yet ...