SSL UF8

cclarry

$1,299.99 at Sweetwater

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UF8control--solid-state-logic-uf8-advanced-daw-controller

Solid State Logic UF8 Advanced DAW Control Surface Features:

8 motorized, touch-sensitive faders

8+1 push/push rotary encoders

8 hi-res LCD TFT displays

RGB backlit soft-touch rubber buttons

Robust all-metal enclosure with brushed, anodized top plate

Expandable: connect up to 4 UF8s to create a 32-channel DAW controller

Works with major DAWs: Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Cubase, Nuendo, Studio One, and Ableton Live

Up to 3 different DAWs may be connected simultaneously

Pro Tools communication via HUI; Logic, Cubase, Studio One, and Live communication via MCU

SSL software provides workflow enhancements with features such as Channel and Plug-in mode

Large multi-purpose notched encoder allows for DAW timeline navigation, track banking, and mouse wheel emulation for enhanced hands-on control

Customizable keys for assigning your favorite keyboard shortcuts/macros

Assignable footswitches

Included stands allow for adjustable elevation angle on your desktop

Compatible with SSL Origin modular center section

19-inch 6U rackmount kit available separately

Connects to your computer via high-speed USB

Powered by SSL 360° software for macOS/Windows, providing quick multi-session configuration, drag-and-drop reorder, customizable user keys, assignable layers, update management, and more

uf8-1__63669.1612371905.1280.1280.jpg?c=

SSL-UF8-hero@1400x1050.jpg&cfs=1&ext=jpg

Edited by Larry Shelby

1 hour ago, TheSteven said:

No Cakewalk support
image.png.01177c8f4a8fa227f662de3aaa8edb02.png

No dedicated profile, but shouldn´t it work anyway?

Quote from SSL´s own product info: "Many other DAWs have HUI & MCU controller integration. At the time of writing, we provide dedicated UF8 profiles for the list of DAWs above."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Per Westin said:

No dedicated profile, but shouldn´t it work anyway?

Quote from SSL´s own product info: "Many other DAWs have HUI & MCU controller integration. At the time of writing, we provide dedicated UF8 profiles for the list of DAWs above."

The transport, faders, vpots & display will likely work with either the Cubase, Ableton or Studio One profiles. But all the other buttons will do the wrong thing.

It might be worth looking at the Presonus FaderPort (8 or 16), the Mackie MCU Pro, the QCon Pro G2, or the Behringer X-Touch.... all of which are cheaper than the SSL and offer more features.

• Like 3

It looks like their marriage with Softube (remember the Console 1?) didn't go out so well. And they weren't sure if they should copy the Faderport or X-Touch, so they made a mishmash of both.

As @msmcleod
 points out, who knows what market this product is for. It's too expensive and has less features. Heck, you almost start getting into digital mixer territory for that amount.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zo said:

It s just pre mapping you can do your own in sonar and mackie control surface plugin ...

This isn't as straightforward as it seems.

Many of the MCU emulations send more than one button press message with the pressing of one of their buttons.  So it's not a case of just mapping one button to another.

I guess it's possible to write your own control surface DLL to deal with this (feel free - the SDK is here:  https://github.com/Cakewalk/Cakewalk-Control-Surface-SDK ), but other than that the only other route is AZController

20 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

This isn't as straightforward as it seems.

Many of the MCU emulations send more than one button press message with the pressing of one of their buttons.  So it's not a case of just mapping one button to another.

I guess it's possible to write your own control surface DLL to deal with this (feel free - the SDK is here:  https://github.com/Cakewalk/Cakewalk-Control-Surface-SDK ), but other than that the only other route is AZController

I think , this is just the 360 integration and the ability to customise stuff via it and rename .... 360 takes all possible control of the daw , i think this is it ... but i might be wrong , anyway i ain t tripping  ... i do think for someone using sonar that the vs 700 is the beast to have unless form factor is a problem (witch is why i m selling mine , under than that i m loving since day one ) i almost decided to open it and take part to built a custom smaller unit , but it s a tuff journey and time is something that become more rare than never.

Notice that the UF8 does not have a dedicated transport control? Also, with its introduction, SSL has dumped the Nucleus 2. Bye-bye Ethernet control, IP MIDI, and Dante - and no doubt, all support.  Sweetwater has also reduced the Nucleus 2 price by about $1200 US.

So what will the UF8 do better than a good ol' Macke MCU PRO? To me, it looks a little more portable, but that's about it. For that, I could use a Faderport, though.

I guess I'm not impressed.

-Bruce

Seems like they lost opportunity... They are SSL...

They could (and should ) introduce for such price something with more knobs and looking as SSL console and also with soft for emulation of their circuits...

Something similar to Console 1 + Console 1 Fader  concept together but with look of SSL real console + DAW utility controls.

9 hours ago, Piotr said:

Something similar to Console 1 + Console 1 Fader  concept together but with look of SSL real console + DAW utility controls.

I think SSL is suffering from a fad you see a lot of old companies doing, which is thinking their brand name and history is all it takes to carry a product these days. this is similar to that awful movie made to capitalize on a certain plumber character from that Japanese games company. They started doing this with their Duende Native plugins, which were one of the most expensive plugins at their time at 5 grand. Then comes the Console 1 partnered with Softube. Interesting idea, except you're paying over 500 bucks for each controller with a ton of limitations and lack of flexibility but, hey, they're emulating those classing SSL consoles records were made on, right. Then comes the SSL SiX. Hard to place, hard to sell at 1500 bucks, but at least you're having the modern SSL preamps nobody cares about and the G series bus compressor without any control over its parameters. Then this shows up and the only thing SSL about it is the expensive price and brand name. At one point no one will remember about the brand anymore, then what do they do? They're doing a shoddy job carrying the torch around and eventually all people that know about their brand and history will die.

• Like 1