Tascam US-2400 and Cakewalk Help Needed [SOLVED!]

Leadfoot

Hi All! I sure could use some help getting this control surface running on Splat/CbB. I put it in Sonar mode when I power it on. I use the Mackie Control protocol. I set up two XT extender ports for 9-16 and 17-24. I cannot get this thing to play nice. I get the first 8 faders working fine. master fader works fine. But the other 2 banks follow whatever the first bank is doing. Can anyone PLEASE help????

Edited by Leadfoot

On the MackieControl dialog (the main one), click the "Configure Layout" button.

On the US2400 turn rotary pot 9 one click to the right, and rotary pot 17 two clicks to the right.

Click the button on the dialog again, and save your preset.

[Edit] - If for some reason, this doesn't work, try following the instructions on page 18 of the manual: https://tascam.com/downloads/tascam/315/us2400_manual.pdf

Edited by msmcleod
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wish I would have posted this question 6 hours ago when I started messing with it! The instructions in splat aren't very clear as to exactly how much to turn the pan pots. Even with your awesome help I still had to watch the usb light to tell when I had gone a "click" since these pots don't actually click(at least mine don't). I was so disappointed! You're a lifesaver! Thank you so much! I'm happy about my purchase again!😁😁😁

• 3 months later...

I'm having the same problem as the original poster, and the posted solution isn't working.  I feel like I'm missing some simple yet crucial step or steps.  And FWIW, midi is not my strong point.

Here's where I'm at -

1) Downloaded and installed the latest BL Cakewalk. 

2) Plug in US2400 and place it into "Sonar" mode. 

3) Enable the midi devices in Cakewalk - there are 6 total US2400 related devices ports (US2400, US2400(2), (3) etc), even though the US2400 manual indicates that there should only be 4.

4) Add the control surfaces - MackieControl, then MCXT(1), MCXT(2), etc - How many XT are required? 1 for every additional bank of 8 sliders (2), again, per the manual, or 1 for every additional midi device  port (5)?  Also, what is the correct In and Out for every MackieControl device?  Ex. Device 1: US2400, Midi In:US2400, Midi Out: US2400; Device 2: US2400(2), In: US2400(2), Out: US2400(2) etc.  - This is where I think I'm going sideways

5) Per the proposed solution above ("On the MackieControl dialog (the main one), click the "Configure Layout" button etc") - my rotaries do not click, nor do they show any red dots that might help gauge a visual "click" in this mode, or any mode unless I press the "Channel" button on the Tascam.  Does the US2400 need to be in a special mode to accomplish this step?

6) Unless I'm again missing some step, page 18 of the US2400 manual isn't helping me.

Is there anything above that jumps out?    Any help here is appreciated.  I'll suffer the slings and arrows, I just really want his thing to work.  What would be nice is if some user could create a script...

Thanks all.

Fred

#3 & 4 edited for clarity

Edited by Frederick Scozzafava

7 minutes ago, Frederick Scozzafava said:

5) Per the proposed solution above ("On the MackieControl dialog (the main one), click the "Configure Layout" button etc") - my rotaries do not click, nor do they show any red dots that might help gauge a visual "click" in this mode, or any mode unless I press the "Channel" button on the Tascam.  Does the US2400 need to be in a special mode to accomplish this step?

I used to have exactly the same issue when configuring 2 x Behringer BCF2000's.

All you can do is turn the knob  clockwise, very slowly and slightly. On the BCF2000 it was probably about 1-2mm.

This might involve a bit of trial and error, especially for pot 17. What I'd recommend for pot 17, is turning it clockwise 1 to 2mm, pausing a second then doing it again 1 to 2mm.

In the meantime, I'll look into the code and see if there's an easier way of doing this without having to use the rotaries.

The best way is to watch the little green usb light toward the upper right of the console. Turn the first encoder on the second bank until the green light blinks once. Then turn the first encoder on the third bank until the green light blinks twice.

OK.  Some success, but not complete.  I downloaded the zip file and installed the contents w/ Cakewalk closed.  Opened Cakewalk and loaded a project w/ 24 audio tracks.  Via Preferences - MIDI, I cleared out all prior Control Surfaces, enabled all the Midi Devices (In & Out) listed, and under Control Surfaces, loaded as follows:

MMcL Mackie Control #1  In: US-2400  Out: US-2400

MMcL Mackie Control XT(1)  In: MIDIIN2 (US-2400)  Out:  MIDIOUT2 (US-2400)

MMcL Mackie Control XT(1)  In:  MIDIIN3 (US-2400)  Out:  MIDIOUT3 (US-2400)  Click "Apply" and close.

Faders 1-16 now work as they should, which is great.  However, faders 17-24 are still not working, nor is the Master.

The way I interpreted the grouping chart in the "Read Me" pdf was that the XTs should both be XT(1), using, I assume, different MIDI ports corresponding with the layout of the board, but that didn't seem to work.  So, I experimented with different options for the second XT surface, such as XT(1) in MIDIIN/OUT4,5 & 6 (no luck) and XT(2) in MIDIIN/OUT3 (no luck).

Any idea what I might have overlooked or set up incorrectly here?

Thanks.

Fred

1 hour ago, Frederick Scozzafava said:

OK.  Some success, but not complete.  I downloaded the zip file and installed the contents w/ Cakewalk closed.  Opened Cakewalk and loaded a project w/ 24 audio tracks.  Via Preferences - MIDI, I cleared out all prior Control Surfaces, enabled all the Midi Devices (In & Out) listed, and under Control Surfaces, loaded as follows:

MMcL Mackie Control #1  In: US-2400  Out: US-2400

MMcL Mackie Control XT(1)  In: MIDIIN2 (US-2400)  Out:  MIDIOUT2 (US-2400)

MMcL Mackie Control XT(1)  In:  MIDIIN3 (US-2400)  Out:  MIDIOUT3 (US-2400)  Click "Apply" and close.

Faders 1-16 now work as they should, which is great.  However, faders 17-24 are still not working, nor is the Master.

The way I interpreted the grouping chart in the "Read Me" pdf was that the XTs should both be XT(1), using, I assume, different MIDI ports corresponding with the layout of the board, but that didn't seem to work.  So, I experimented with different options for the second XT surface, such as XT(1) in MIDIIN/OUT4,5 & 6 (no luck) and XT(2) in MIDIIN/OUT3 (no luck).

Any idea what I might have overlooked or set up incorrectly here?

Thanks.

Fred

You could try making the first & second one MMcL Mackie Control XT #1, and the 3rd one MMcL Mackie Control #1

However, according to the US2400 docs, it should be as you set it up.

Did you try going through the instructions in the US2400 manual for setting up in SONAR?

Edited by msmcleod

• 9 months later...