Simple Piano Roll Navigation 'shortcut'

Graeme Moodie

Across the many software apps [ video editing, desktop publishing/design/graphics ] there is a feature that is very useful for navigation - to 'pull into view' whatever part of your design or timeline you want to get to quickly. Holding down the middle mouse activates a 'grab hand' tool so that you can drag/pan the view left or right, up or down, in a very intuitive manner. This is so useful to move around the interface [I have the midi piano roll in mind].

I'm not neccessarily advocating for the removal of other methods - many people will find pressing ctrl and scrolling to be adequate.

This 'grabbing hand' tool I have found to be much easier in many other softwares to move to the desired location in the interface.

Davinci Resolve has this exact method in it's timeline [ although if i remember correctly it only works from left to right - I would request both left/right, up and down for Cakewalk piano roll ]

Its such a small thing really, but such a breeze to use
Here's hoping 😊

• Great Idea 1

In both Track and Piano Roll Views, middle button down and drag left right does drag the viewport (scrolls rather than drags to be fair - personally, I hate the hand grabbing and much prefer scrolling).  You do get the CbB HUD (Head Up Display) appearing on middle click, which is a tad disconcerting, but the click-drag does still work.