Staff view (score view)

Frank D. Baere

Hi,

Will the "Staff View" be further developed? I suppose a lot of people use Midi in Cakewalk and it would be great if we could also work with musical notation in Cakewalk.

Importing Music xml would be nice.

Presonus has integrated a music notation program into their DAW and it's great. I also have Studio One but I don't like to work in it! For some reason I keep coming back to Cakewalk. CbB is simply a wonderful and easy to use program.😀

Frank

Edited by Frank D. Baere
  • Like 2

Yeah, it's not going to happen. Sorry to be negative, but on the old Sonar forum there was a thread on this that became on eof the longest in the history of that forum. they have made some minor tweaks, but not all of them have been received well, and most prefer the staff view that existed in the Sonar 8.5 days.

Having said that, Cakewalk's staff view is in my opinion the best of any DAW. Only Reaper's is as good. not because it's great as a notation program (far from it), but because it excels as a compositional tool. People rave about Cubase's staff view. I have tried it, and although it looks great and you can print decent scores (although still not professional quality), navigating in it is a pain. You can only select the notes you can see in the current window. There is no scrolling. Cakewalk allows you to scroll as much as you want. So you can select 100 measures if you want. to do that in Cubase, you have to exit staff view and use another view to make the selection.

In time, Reaper's notation feature is going to be the best of any DAW. Unless Studio One fully integrates Notion. I don't know how far that process has gone. I used Reaper for a couple years, but eventually got tired of the interface as well as the difficulty in routing midi. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mdiemer said:

Unless Studio One fully integrates Notion. I don't know how far that process has gone. I used Reaper for a couple years, but eventually got tired of the interface as well as the difficulty in routing midi. 

Notion is now fully integrated in Studio One. You can compose in Notion and send the whole score in one click to Studio One.  I understand that this is more difficult with Cakewalk because the program is free.

score.JPG

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Frank D. Baere said:

For now I use Presonus Notion 6 and connect it to Cakewalk with Rewire. So I can work on my piano roll and follow the music position on my score in Notion.

I do the same with Sibelius.  Can you get it to lock perfectly?  Sibelius is off just a little, enough to view, but not enough to sync tightly.

Hi!! Sidroe here!! I was the OP of the record breaking longest thread in the old forum on just this topic.

That seems like so many years ago now. I still find it hard to believe that we are still having to discuss the shortcomings of the staff view for this many years now!

It doesn't feel like the fix is any closer!!! I still have confidence that if the staff issues can be fixed, the bakers will find a way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abacab said:

Maybe we can set a new record here!

1 hour ago, abacab said:

Keep the thread alive!

Count me out.  I don't need to hear things like, "If you want to do notation, get a real notation program," "Use the PRV; its much better," "Real musicians don't use staff notation," etc.  over and over in yet another thread. 

Well, if it gets really heated, maybe I'll use copious 👍🏿 and/or 👎🏿 signs.  😛 

1 hour ago, abacab said:

Maybe we can set a new record here!

I don't want to get scolded by the folks that say it isn't needed. It is a DAW not a notation program. I have been down that road already :D

1 hour ago, abacab said:

Keep the thread alive!

Really. The Bakers know what needs to be done but don't have the expertise, time or think it is not needed :(   As much as I love CbB if I really need the notation I will probably go the Studio One 5 route.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, InstrEd said:

I don't want to get scolded by the folks that say it isn't needed. It is a DAW not a notation program. I have been down that road already :D

Really. The Bakers know what needs to be done but don't have the expertise, time or think it is not needed :(   As much as I love CbB if I really need the notation I will probably go the Studio One 5 route.  

I've already got Notion and Studio One with full notation integration, so I don't really need it improved in Cakewalk.

But as a Cakewalk user and supporter for over 20 years, I'm just suggesting a way to make Cakewalk a better tool for all, not just guitar playing Dads.

I'm still a fan of seeing Cakewalk become one of the best DAWs, not just the best free one.

Edited by abacab

@abacab  I agree I would like to see staff view / notation improvement in CbB especially with Meng and Bandlab keen on music education. but as others have said, me included ,I will be shocked if it gets some love from the bakers.   I'm slowly learning Staffpad as a new creative tool now and I brought the Affinity suite of graphics to keep me busy.  Too much to learn and not enough time :(

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

BandLab should acquire Finale or Sibelius and integrate and be done with it. 

We want to make notation easier for the masses not harder 😆    I speak from experience with Finale :D   If I'm going for a top-notch published page then yes Finale/Sibelius etc is the way to go.  This is not what most of us are looking for from CbB.

Most of us just wanted functional notation/staff view and Cakewalk is close but misses the mark as has been discussed before. 

• Like 3