Mark hidden take?

Leizer

This is a problem I have had for a long time and every time I think "there has to be a solution". Maybe I have an ancient or very odd way of recording stuff, but anyway...

For example: I record a melody in a track, then I record some completary notes on the same track with "sound on sound". Then I want to copy only the melody to another track (not the completary notes). The melody is hidden under the second recording! I've tried double-click, ALT-click, CTRL-click, SHIFT-click - nothing makes the melody move in front so I can copy it. Usually I get tired and shrink the second recording so I can see and mark the melody, but  there has to be a simpler solution to this, right?

Tell me, please. 🤔

Firstly - you are using a "multi-track" recorder.

So why are you not using the software as it is meant to be used?  Record your extra notes on a separate track then you won't have this problem.

"sound-on-sound"  is a technique that was from the old tape era.  Once you record over top of already recorded material the previous track and the new recording  should be mixed into "one data stream" (or track). You may be lucky enough to be able to "undo" a sound-on-sound recording.   I have never used it so perhaps I do not know.

The other thing would be to copy the track before you overwrite it with sound on sound.

Just my opinion . . .

Syphus

• Like 1

ok - just checked on the cakewalk definition:

"The new material is merged with any existing material. This means that any existing clips on the track are left unchanged and all newly recorded material is stored in new clips. While recording, you will be able to hear material from existing clips."

So I stand corrected as to how "sound-on-sound" works for Cakewalk.  But that does not invalidate my previous statements . . . and as mentioned by @RBH, you can use take lanes . . .

Syphus

• Like 1