Overloud Fluid Convolution

cclarry

Fluid Convolution is a new generation DSP Technology for IR processing. It will be the technology behind the upcoming Overloud cabinets and IR processing products.

What is Fluid Convolution?

Convolution is the mathematical process used to apply an IR to an audio stream.
Fluid Convolution allows us to remove the digital artifacts of conventional IR processing, seamlessly switch between different IRs, and also do this with a lower CPU impact.

How does it work?

When the recorded audio sample rate differs from the IR sample rate, conventional convolution requires resampling of the audio in order to match the two sample rates. This is particularly true when oversampling is used, like in many guitar processors. This leads to an increased CPU load and some audio degradation due to the resampling process.
With the Fluid Convolution we store the IRs in the complex frequency domain, so no resample is needed anymore. The results are a more natural feel and a lower CPU impact.

The transition between IRs also happens seamlessly: when changing IRs or tweaking cabinet parameters, traditional audio engines typically jump between different impulses according to the new settings. With Fluid Convolution, everything will happen smoothly, with no gaps or artifacts, and with a new level of realism.

Where do I find Fluid Convolution?

The first Overloud product that will benefit from this new DSP Technology will be TH-U 1.3. It will be released on February 8th: the update will be free for all registered users of any TH-U version.

thanks to the reduced CPU requirement we have been able to double the length of the IRs: this will produce a more accurate simulation and a more solid tone.

in case of a different sample rate between the audio and the IR, the resulting tone will be more natural thanks to the absence of the resampling stage.

changing the parameters, like moving the microphones or switching IRs, will happen much more smoothly: you’ll perceive a more natural feel when tweaking the models

What comes next?

During the Spring of 2021, Overloud will release a new product which will redefine the IR processing. Stay tuned!

https://www.overloud.com/news/fluid-convolution-unveiled

banner-fluid-convolution.jpg?itok=IY1-yf

• Like 5

The more I've played with AT5 and compared it to PA Brainworx and THU, I'm not as enthusiastic as I was the week it came out.  There are some massive improvements and its won me over in a few areas (Fenders & Leslie) but I'm back to my old habits and REALLY looking forward to this THU release next week.

On 2/3/2021 at 10:31 PM, Marc Cormier said:

The more I've played with AT5 and compared it to PA Brainworx and THU, I'm not as enthusiastic as I was the week it came out.  There are some massive improvements and its won me over in a few areas (Fenders & Leslie) but I'm back to my old habits and REALLY looking forward to this THU release next week.

My issue with th3 thu , is that you really feel the static convo sampling , meaning that reaction to their additionnal knobs eq , tone , what ever on their amp is ridiculous , you can crank one knob and have a marginal move in tone ... 

unlike a real amp or in ik imho , if the tone you re looking for is close to nominal values it s ok , but if not , prepare for a a foght including cab , mic change , pedals ect ...

7 hours ago, Zo said:

reaction to their additionnal knobs eq , tone , what ever on their amp is ridiculous , you can crank one knob and have a marginal move in tone ... 

Looks like you need to take your amps apart and solder loose wires back in place.

7 hours ago, Zo said:

the tone you re looking for is close to nominal values

Blasphemy! There ain't no perfect tone. Don't even try looking for it, use what you've got! :D

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Soundwise said:

Looks like you need to take your amps apart and solder loose wires back in place.

Blasphemy! There ain't no perfect tone. Don't even try looking for it, use what you've got! :D

Mademoiselle is always right !! I can t compete ahahha 

Mores seriously , not super happy with maintenace from them , smring age coul be superb , markbass also thu could have been refined at least zoom not looking a 90 ' type of 1024 * 768 resolution screen ... 

preset management mic selection ect , everythingvis aging not so well ... they should gibe their tools the attention theybdeseves , i understand the need to create new stuff for new sales , but i swear that redesigning old product would have not only consolidated users base , but also created new sales ...prior to stuff like neural and ik , now it s another story as the bar is even higherc!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zo said:

Mademoiselle is always right !! I can t compete ahahha 

Mores seriously , not super happy with maintenace from them , smring age coul be superb , markbass also thu could have been refined at least zoom not looking a 90 ' type of 1024 * 768 resolution screen ... 

preset management mic selection ect , everythingvis aging not so well ... they should gibe their tools the attention theybdeseves , i understand the need to create new stuff for new sales , but i swear that redesigning old product would have not only consolidated users base , but also created new sales ...prior to stuff like neural and ik , now it s another story as the bar is even higherc!!

Couldn't agree more, Zo (about everything you said!😉).  I said much the same on the user group forum on Facebook (the ONLY reason I have to go to Facebook).  The rigs are OK but they shouldn't walk away from the core offerings - way too much competition out there.  I think there's some good stuff coming in a few days.  But don't quote me on it.

Edited by Marc Cormier

16 minutes ago, Marc Cormier said:

Couldn't agree more, Zo (about everything you said!😉).  I said much the same on the user group forum on Facebook (the ONLY reason I have to go to Facebook).  The rigs are OK but they shouldn't walk away from the core offerings - way too much competition out there.  I think there's some good stuff coming in a few days.  But don't quote me on it.

I m pretty sure they will update the sonic , but the interfacing , specially with a product aimed for musician jamming , should be considered secondary ...

Although I don't mind TH-U GUI not being eye-candy, their naming convention (Rand Sanat, Ornage, etc) bugs me big time. Why on Earth they decided to match the ugliness of the interface and not the beauty of the tone? Such titles hurt my eyes and ears. Maybe that's why I buy rigs like Brit 2000 and avoid messing with Fried Jerries, whatever that means.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Soundwise said:

Although I don't mind TH-U GUI not being eye-candy, their naming convention (Rand Sanat, Ornage, etc) bugs me big time. Why on Earth they decided to match the ugliness of the interface and not the beauty of the tone? Such titles hurt my eyes and ears. Maybe that's why I buy rigs like Brit 2000 and avoid messing with Fried Jerries, whatever that means.

They probably want to indicate the hardware that they're modelling, but can't use the real names because of issues around licensing. As ugly as the names are, they probably offer more of a clue (to people more in the know about guitar equipment than me) as to what's being modelled, rather than something like 'Vintage Crunchy Amp'.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, antler said:

They probably want to indicate the hardware that they're modelling, but can't use the real names because of issues around licensing. As ugly as the names are, they probably offer more of a clue (to people more in the know about guitar equipment than me) as to what's being modelled, rather than something like 'Vintage Crunchy Amp'.

That's absolutely clear. All other manufacturers have been doings this for decades. But somehow they all manage to come up with OK to nice substitutions and none of them sell their products with fried jerries inside.

3 minutes ago, Soundwise said:

That's absolutely clear. All other manufacturers have been doings this for decades. But somehow they all manage to come up with OK to nice substitutions and none of them sell their products with fried jerries inside.

Another possibility could be a language thing? or maybe even attempted humour.

14 hours ago, antler said:

Another possibility could be a language thing? or maybe even attempted humour.

Everything is possible, even the impossible. :D

Well, seriously, it feels like playing a word association game with a sane and well-educated person who pretends to be dyslexic and schizophrenic. Annoying!

• Like 2

On 2/5/2021 at 11:42 PM, Zo said:

At least if you type real names in search exemple : fender , you ll find the stuff ....

True, this is one of things I like in THU as well. I wish they improved search RIGs though. It looks like another thing not completed. They introduced nice  categorizing with color dot (clean to high gain) but not way to use it as filter in search. One needs it do by own eyes...

Something I am thinking that not lack of time for developing but lack of imagination is  the real reason of all those shortcomings...

Most of the weird naming comes from the ChopTones stuff, they have always had weird naming even way back during the BIAS Amp (1) days and before, although it is pretty easy to figure out what they are representing.

Although I have pretty much resigned TH-U to the dust pile, I am still looking forward to seeing what this here thingy can do.