Ad/da converts no preamps

Bad Mac

Looking for either an interface that has 8 analog inputs and has NO preamps. Or a ad/da converter without preamps.  I have my own preamps and want a way to connect without hitting a preamp on the interface from another preamp. Worried I would overload, as well as sound quality. What are you guys using? Looking for suggestions.

I just got a Presonus 1810c and I'm very happy with it. It has 4 line inputs on the back and 4 line/instrument/mic inputs on the front. Plus you have a bunch more ADAT options as well. There is a switch to set the front inputs to 'line'. I'm assuming that bypasses the preamp's but I am not certain about that and I couldn't find any information on it when I searched.

I've had very good luck with Presonus audio interfaces. In fact, the 1810c replaced my Presonus Firestudio Mobile because I thought it had gone bad but it ended up being the pickups on two of my guitars had gone bad. What are the chances of that? Hah. The Firestudio Mobile is 11 years old.

I posted about some trouble I was having with the 1810c here in another thread but it turned out to be a mistake I made during driver installation. Once I corrected it, it hasn't given me one lick of trouble. I'm running it on a 3.1Gb USB-C port. If you end up going with something by Presonus be aware when you install the drivers by default they select the driver for every product they make and if you rush through the install like I did and leave them all selected it causes problems. Deselect them all except for your specific interface.

Not sure what your budget is but this was $400. I got a used like new one on Amazon for $369 and it looked like it had never been opened.

A lot of guys here use RME interfaces, but they are a bit out of my price range for my needs.

HTH.

• Thanks 1

Bad, I still use the 1884 as a control surface,  but I have been using the RME UFX for audio I/O for several years now. 8 line in and 4 mic pres. All 8 line ins are connected to various dedicated pres and compressors. Works a treat! RME is pricey, but it’s all about drivers, drivers, drivers. I’d feel naked without the 1884’s control, but when it became obvious they would eventually be moved to the scrap heap, I began preparing for an 1884less future. 
drivers, drivers, drivers...

t

don’t know what I’ll do eventually for control, but for now the RME/1884 combo are great. The UFX’s versatility and the TotalMix software are a vast improvement </fanboi>

8 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Bad, I still use the 1884 as a control surface,  but I have been using the RME UFX for audio I/O for several years now. 8 line in and 4 mic pres. All 8 line ins are connected to various dedicated pres and compressors. Works a treat! RME is pricey, but it’s all about drivers, drivers, drivers. I’d feel naked without the 1884’s control, but when it became obvious they would eventually be moved to the scrap heap, I began preparing for an 1884less future. 

t

don’t know what I’ll do eventually for control, but for now the RME/1884 combo are great. The UFX’s versatility and the TotalMix software are a vast improvement </fanboi>

I just got a new computer and as of windows 10 there is still a way to load drivers for the 1884. I don't want to give up the 1884. I love it. I did pick up a frontiers tango 24 for cheap, that should be here in a few days. Gonna give that a try via adat.

Edited by Bad Mac
  • Like 1

Yes they do, but I do believe originally they were more Mac oriented; IIRC. And again this was back in the MIDI sequencer days. Although as I said the MIDI Express I had worked fine in Windows. 
For some reason I remember a story about MOTU and Cakewalk staff having a softball game and the losers (motu) having to write some code? Maybe? And I want to say that’s where the notion that MOTU (in those days) was more Mac oriented? Maybe someone will set me straight...

t

<disclaimer>I’m a guitarist of a “certain” age, sometimes I have trouble keeping these old stories straight, or not </disclaimer>

4 hours ago, Bad Mac said:

Why did you guys choose RME over MOTU? As much as I don't want to change, I may have to soon.

If we are ranking by efficiency, support and stability, there’s RME drivers, and then there’s everyone else. Best hardware/drivers I’ve ever owned; I’ve got an original Babyface that I bought used three years ago, and it sounds great,  and performs flawlessly. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bad Mac said:

Why did you guys choose RME over MOTU? As much as I don't want to change, I may have to soon.

15 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

t

also

reputation, reputation, reputation....