Article: QuadCurve vs. Sonitus EQ - Which Is Better?

Craig Anderton

On 2/3/2021 at 11:09 AM, InstrEd said:

Welcome back Craig. I know  you never left but by your post count, you really haven't been around much ;)

Always glad to check out what your postings :D

Thanks!! Even since I was coerced into - I mean, decided to :)  - become President of the MIDI Association (formerly the MIDI Manufacturer's Association), I've been quite busy working on MIDI 2.0. I also have a very big project slated for the second quarter that's taking a lot of my time. 

As to Cakewalk, the new owners weren't interested in what I'm doing, and Sound on Sound said there weren't enough Cakewalk users to justify the column, so I just figured the time was right to  see what else is happening. I've become quite a fan of Studio One, but I've also become proficient at Pro Tools, Cubase, and Digital Performer (a very underrated program in many ways). I've been using Ableton Live as long as it has existed, but there are zero opportunities for playing live these days :(

I did post my album for 2020, whose favorable response has surprised me, and am already working on the one for 2021.  So maybe I haven't been around here much, but I'm not exactly laying low :)

When SOS decided not to run the column any more, I had already written several columns but they were never published. I'll be posting them on craiganderton.org as soon as I get some time.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Craig Anderton said:

Thanks!! Even since I was coerced into - I mean, decided to :) - become President of the MIDI Association (formerly the MIDI Manufacturer's Association), I've been quite busy working on MIDI 2.0.  .  .  .

Yeah--saw you as one of the Innovative Judges--I mean, one of the Judges for the Innovation Awards. (Enjoyed that live-streamed event!)  Glad to see you continue to make a difference!  

On 2/4/2021 at 10:03 PM, Craig Anderton said:

Thanks!! Even since I was coerced into - I mean, decided to :) - become President of the MIDI Association (formerly the MIDI Manufacturer's Association), I've been quite busy working on MIDI 2.0. I also have a very big project slated for the second quarter that's taking a lot of my time. 

As to Cakewalk, the new owners weren't interested in what I'm doing, and Sound on Sound said there weren't enough Cakewalk users to justify the column, so I just figured the time was right to  see what else is happening. I've become quite a fan of Studio One, but I've also become proficient at Pro Tools, Cubase, and Digital Performer (a very underrated program in many ways). I've been using Ableton Live as long as it has existed, but there are zero opportunities for playing live these days :(

So why don't you use your clout and tell BandLab that they can't have any of that new MIDI 2.0 pie unless they get behind the world's most active and prolific user/creator/promoter/supporter/writer/author AND publisher of the Cakewalk brand and products, of all time??

I do take note that the new owners are not marketing nor maintaining relationships with all of the big time industry plug in manufacturers which has resulted in these companies to no longer testing their products in Cakewalk.  Just a year ago, Cakewalk was listed as a compatible platform on all of the major league plug in developers and as of today, only 2 have tested compatibility or at least kept listing as so.  This is unfortunate and it's a bad sign really.

Thanks for all of your contributions to the Cakewalk brand and helping to bring  to us lifelong diehards of 15-20 years, the added value of the knowledge and expertise you worked hard and passionately to provide.  You've made music as a whole just that much better!

On 2/9/2021 at 12:59 AM, Clovis Ramsay said:

So why don't you use your clout and tell BandLab that they can't have any of that new MIDI 2.0 pie unless they get behind the world's most active and prolific user/creator/promoter/supporter/writer/author AND publisher of the Cakewalk brand and products, of all time??

I do take note that the new owners are not marketing nor maintaining relationships with all of the big time industry plug in manufacturers which has resulted in these companies to no longer testing their products in Cakewalk.  Just a year ago, Cakewalk was listed as a compatible platform on all of the major league plug in developers and as of today, only 2 have tested compatibility or at least kept listing as so.  This is unfortunate and it's a bad sign really.

MIDI 2.0 is an open standard, anyone can incorporate its features into their products. Of course, it would be great if BandLab joined the MIDI Association, because then they could help shape the spec, as we as get advance notice of changes and additions before they become officially adopted, and available to the public.

As to testing products, regardless of whether there's visible public support, the fact that Cakewalk keeps getting updated is what matters. It sure doesn't seem like it's being abandoned! I suppose there's also not much incentive to put money into marketing something that's free; I think a Cakewalk store for plug-ins, add-ons, and such would bring more people into the fold and help justify Cakewalk economically, but BandLab probably has more pressing priorities.

Meanwhile, because Noel & Company are on the case in terms of keeping Cakewalk up to date, you can be pretty sure that plug-ins that work with other DAWs will work with Cakewalk. The main concern wouldn't be compatibility as much as whether companies producing something like a controller will have a Cakewalk template. Then again, with MIDI 2.0's profiles and property exchange functionality, the idea of needing to map controllers to hardware will become pretty much a thing of the past anyway.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2021 at 1:59 AM, zerointhesky said:

Im not sure how you get to that assumption. We are in touch with most of the major players whenever there are issues reported. We can’t control what other companies put on their websites or their marketing. Mostly that is governed by how many paid users proportionately they have for a particular DAW. Most vendors I have been in touch with are very appreciative when we contact them about issues and promptly fix them.

• Like 3