Plugin Alliance Big Al

cclarry

Perpetual License
Yes, you can still purchase a single, perpetual license for this plugin. List Price $249, Intro Offer Price $199.99

Your Intro Price: $129.99* with voucher code

BIG-AL-INTRO-12999

Use this code during checkout to save. Valid until March 4th.
Feel free to share this code with your friends.

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/neold_big_al.html

145618892_3749279071774725_7991545914653

Edited by Larry Shelby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

So, let me get this straight. They made a custom hardware compressor whose sole purpose is being used to model a plugin. And why don't they sell the hardware instead?

There is little to no money in studio hardware.  Even the best manufacturers barely are able to make ends meet.  And lets face it, new studios aren't exactly a booming business either.   So that whole field may not be getting much bigger.

While making a custom piece of hardware as a model for software may be complex, it isn't crazy and may produce good results.  I would say it may produce amazing or great results, but all too often software versions of real hardware tend to not be great software.  Just like books don't always make good movies.  Movies don't always make good video games.  Etc.  They can, but it's not guaranteed to happen magically.

3 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

While making a custom piece of hardware as a model for software may be complex, it isn't crazy and may produce good results.  I would say it may produce amazing or great results, but all too often software versions of real hardware tend to not be great software.

Well, at least it's better than doing the same emulations over and over again....Assuming this hardware unit is not a mishmash of those same old emulations in a single unit.

• Like 1

Your Intro Price: $129.99* with voucher code

(I'll pass)

EDIT

or

If you already own one of our Tone/Character plugins, Neold V76U73, ACME Opticom XLA-3, bx_townhouse, elysia alpha compressor, Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor (or Mastering Compressor Class A), SPL Transient Designer Plus, or Vertigo VSC-2 you save BIG. Log in to your account and simply add this plugin to your cart!

Your Special License Offer: $99.99*

(I'll still pass)

Edited by simon
  • Great Idea 1

8 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Well, at least it's better than doing the same emulations over and over again....Assuming this hardware unit is not a mishmash of those same old emulations in a single unit.

They did this with the Phil's Cascade as well.  

I believe in that case it was scarcity of NOS parts, impossibility to sell in the EU die to RoHS, and an unrealistic required price point for the end user.

43 minutes ago, e-cue said:

I believe in that case it was scarcity of NOS parts, impossibility to sell in the EU die to RoHS, and an unrealistic required price point for the end user.

That's awesome actually. Why would anyone want to buy an overpriced piece of gear entirely comprised of old parts that are most likely out of spec due to wear is beyond me. I'm pretty sure you would turn your head around or call the police if your doctor suddenly suggested that a way to cure a headache was to open a hole in the top of your cranium and leave your brain exposed to the environment.

1 hour ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

That's awesome actually. Why would anyone want to buy an overpriced piece of gear entirely comprised of old parts that are most likely out of spec due to wear is beyond me. I'm pretty sure you would turn your head around or call the police if your doctor suddenly suggested that a way to cure a headache was to open a hole in the top of your cranium and leave your brain exposed to the environment.

Heh.  

I've been having some luck with these settings, or about, on various buses (I have this on a synth bus right now and it sounds like it died when I bypass). The "E" can suppress your low end a lot, so be wary.

1114779807_ScreenShot2021-02-02at3_17_06PM.png.5338e043e584e42b22aef4c2582e245b.png

This seems to get trashy and broken sounding fast.  I'm a sucker for overusing stuff like this when I first get it to a fault, so I've been leaning heavily on more conservative mix settings most of the time.  

They claim the low end is "around 100Hz", I think more accurately it's around 85 hertz.  They claim the high is "around 10kHz", I think more accurately it's around 13k.  Doesn't really matter.  

It is pretty cool, but I still think I'll use the Black Box Analog Design HG-2 and Phil's Cascade more.  

I rolled my eyes at PA's subsciption plans before.  Now- I think it's one of the best values out there.

Edited by e-cue
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Why would anyone want to buy an overpriced piece of gear entirely comprised of old parts that are most likely out of spec due to wear is beyond me.

Then I take it that you're not a guitar player into pedals?  Pretty hot market (at least price wise) in this area.

Vintage doesn't necessarily mean used - more common is to use NOS (New Old Stock - 'new' unboxed parts found in back of warehouse, garage, etc) and yeah those parts may not 100% adhere to spec but many of them didn't even when new.

46 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

Then I take it that you're not a guitar player into pedals?  Pretty hot market (at least price wise) in this area.

Vintage doesn't necessarily mean used - more common is to use NOS (New Old Stock - 'new' unboxed parts found in back of warehouse, garage, etc) and yeah those parts may not 100% adhere to spec but many of them didn't even when new.

+1

Add to this some of those NOS parts can't legally be sold and used in new products and it can make for one off products that are as they say, not made like that anymore.

I know some a couple well known builders that have made some not for sale pedals using such parts and was able to a/b them against the acceptable production counterparts.  No question there was a difference in the builds.  

Now if those differences would translate into a digital emulation of the circuit, I'd generally doubt it at this point, but I do see the appeal of actual hardware using unobtanium parts.  

those parts may not 100% adhere to spec but many of them didn't even when new.

If you look at a number of classic guitar pedals, such as the 'Big Muff' or FuzzFace, there was tremendous sonic variation within a given production run even though they all had the 'same' components.
So if you're creating an emulation of something are you modeling the pearl or the lemon of a particular production run?

• Like 1