Auto scroll in Melodyne?

jono grant

There is an auto scroll button, bottom right if I remember correctly . . . and sometimes (for unknown reasons to me) it gets turned off, without me going near it.

Also, scrolling will not work if any blobs remain selected. In my Cakewalk, the scrolling between Cakewalk and Melodyne is totally in sync.

Sometimes if I use a Cakewalk key command when Melodyne is highlighted, oops ! it messes with things, because their key commands are totally different.

Let us know which Cake version, and which Melodyne version you have, it may offer more clues.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jono grant said:

How is this different than bouncing the track? Just wondering...

Thanks!

Bouncing the track has other options, like applying the track fx & automation, whereas Render Region FX only applies the edits you've made in Melodyne.

I used to experience this every time I used Melodyne. I first noticed it at version 3 and it continued to be an annoyance with version 4. Version 5, however, does not seem to have this issue.

My assumption is that enough users complained about it (I was one of them) that Celemony decided it would really be OK if your selected data scrolled off the screen - just like every other piece of software on the planet, from MS Word to Google Chrome.

As far as the question of bounce vs. region render, I wouldn't expect to hear any difference in quality either way. More important is to only render once if you can, because even though Melodyne does a spectacularly good job of it, a small amount of artifacts is unavoidable and those distortions are cumulative with each re-render. As others have said above, I like to split my vocal tracks into small clips and work on each one individually, rendering as I go.

timboalogo, yes, you can re-edit a rendered clip, but it's not a practice I'd recommend. Whenever I notice a phrase that needs tweaking but is in an already edited and rendered clip, I'll split out that phrase into its own clip and apply Melodyne just to that. Chances are it was never actually edited by Melodyne to begin with, so there are no artifacts to compound. 

I was wondering about re rendering a clip,  so what I have done is delete the clip I had already rendered and then Copy /Paste from the safety copy of that clip into the working track. I always copy the track and put it below the working copy.  It's also handy to see what kinda mess you made of the original.