Upgrade Offer to Hammersmith Pro

cclarry

If you got the FREE Hammersmith recently offered you can get the FULL
version for $155

We hope that Hammersmith Free is finding its way into your productions.

Dan and I would like to let you know that anytime you feel you'd like to upgrade to the big, grown-up Hammersmith Pro, you'll find an offer in your Soniccouture user account that will get you 35% off full price.

MSRP: €199 |  $239

YOUR UPGRADE PRICE: €129  |  $155

LOGIN TO YOUR USER ACCOUNT TO UPGRADE

12 minutes ago, simon said:

and Simeon Amburgey's excellent review here: 

It was funny, but for my review they sent me the older version (which in all honesty I prefer the older GUI), so I am needing to do an updated review on the newer version. They did include some interesting effects similar to what NOIRE incorporated in their Particles Engine which was a nice surprise. I think the Christmas sale was the best time to grab some of their instruments, but this is a gentle way to get in on this library.

What is interesting is that the Steinway they used has the MIDI retrofit that allows them to get so many consistent dynamic layers, which believe me makes a lot of difference. I cannot imagine the sheer amount of patience and endurance it would take to put one of these larger piano libraries together, it would be utterly exhausting. With VSL and their Synchron Pianos, using the piano Robot, it takes them month's of sampling almost around the clock to capture the upwards of 200 dynamic layers per key, amazing.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

With VSL and their Synchron Pianos, using the piano Robot, it takes them month's of sampling almost around the clock to capture the upwards of 200 dynamic layers per key, amazing.

I wouldn't like to under appreciate the amount of work required to multisample any instrument - and this particular one sounds excellent..... but I wouldn't have thought that with a piano velocity=volume (pretty much) you can just take loads of samples and let some script sort them all by volume later.  I'm sure this is what Toontrack do for their drums - just bash away at them and sort the details later - obviously a drum has less 'keys' but more positions.    Midi triggering would make this much quicker of course.

(just thinking aloud here :) - feel free to ignore me) 

1 minute ago, simon said:

I wouldn't like to under appreciate the amount of work required to multisample any instrument - and this particular one sounds excellent..... but I wouldn't have thought that with a piano velocity=volume (pretty much) you can just take loads of samples and let some script sort them all by volume later.  I'm sure this is what Toontrack do for their drums - just bash away at them and sort the details later - obviously a drum has less 'keys' but more positions.    Midi triggering would make this much quicker of course.

(just thinking aloud here :) - feel free to ignore me) 

The thing is the consistency of playing the notes at an expected velocity, the person playing for the sampling sessions would have to play the notes very precisely when doing the dynamic layers or things would really sound off, having some dynamic layers a little different than others would result in a somewhat unbalanced feel when playing across the keyboard. I can especially feel the differences with the SL88 Grand as it has a very wonderful response especially providing a full range experience when playing from soft to loud. 

I have been playing through the Spitfire Hans Zimmer Piano and it has very few dynamic layers, especially in the higher dynamics. I am thinking that once they got started in the sampling session they realized that this was probably more than they had bargained for. ;^) The sheer amount of mic positions is staggering but it is not what I would call a full dynamic range piano library, it is more of a character or specialized for a particular sound than an all around workhorse piano library.

Playing as many piano libraries as I have over the past year has been a revelation of sorts in all of the various tones, dynamics and how the different techniques make a huge difference in the final product when it is under your fingers. Some libraries just sing and invite you to play while others that lack that dynamic something, something just do not inspire as much.

• Like 2

I bought the Hammersmith Pro several years back.  Technically it is a very good piano. It has a great selection of microphones and lots velocity layers.  That said, I never connected with the overall tone of the piano. To my ears it sounds a bit clinical. My current go to pianos are the Garritan Yamaha CFX and the Embertone Walker 1955 Concert D Steinway.  The Garritan CFX is fantastic with essentially no flaws. I also love the rich warm tone of Embertone Steinway, but it needs a top notch computer system to take advantage of all of its 36 layers with round robin samples.

• Like 2