how to apply pitch bend just to a note?

JonnyHeyhey

Question

Hi is it possible to just target a specific note with pitch bend?

Like for instance, I play an arppegiated chord C then E then G on my koto instrument.

But I just want the last note G to pitch bend up and down

When I assign the pitch bend, the C and E bends up and down with the G...like I can hear the tail sound of C and E move with the pitch bend and I don't want that.

Thanks

i

10 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Cakewalk currently does not support MIDI 2.0 - we'll be working closely with Microsoft when they natively support MIDI 2.0 in Windows.

Pitch Bend is a channel event, which means it'll affect all notes on that channel.

Polyphonic after touch is the only note specific event available, but very few synths support this (most only support Channel after touch).  Using after touch also would limit you to only bending up, or bending down.

The way I've done this in the past is to use a CAL script to split each note into separate tracks and channels, then move these tracks in to separate lanes (making sure the MIDI channel of the track is set to "None").  This way I could apply pitch bend on a specific lane/channel/note.  This could be done either by recording the pitch bend, or by using an automation curve.

As I was using hardware synths at the time, this involved creating a multi-patch with the same sound on each MIDI channel.

I think @Promidi 's idea of using a second instance is probably the easiest for VSTi's.

is there a cal script that can cut and paste notes to specific tracks? I know there is a cal script that moves all "specific pitch" of one lane to the other which is used for drum tracks...but would like one where i can just select notes and have it say move to track 2 hmm....anyone?

33 minutes ago, JonnyHeyhey said:

i

is there a cal script that can cut and paste notes to specific tracks? I know there is a cal script that moves all "specific pitch" of one lane to the other which is used for drum tracks...but would like one where i can just select notes and have it say move to track 2 hmm....anyone?

I don't know if one exists, but you could probably write one if you have the know how?

1 hour ago, winkpain said:

It is interesting that this fundamental effect, so easy to achieve and a core expression when performing on an acoustic, especially string, instruments is one level that MIDI has been so slow to attain. I totally get that it's difficult in MIDI.  I'm not asking why. And I'm excited about Polyphonic Expression and MIDI 2.0 (it's about time! How long have we been on version 1.0 ??). I'm just saying that it's curious that some things that are so simple in meat space prove so difficult in the digital realm.

Right. And thanks Promidi for your explanations. I actual understand all that, I'm just dreaming about how I'd like it to be.

MIDI started in the early '80s and evolved thru the '90s. MIDI 2 in 2017/2020.

As I understand it, MIDI 2 will only work with devices supporting it, not our current devices.

Edited by sjoens
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sjoens said:

Right. And thanks Promidi for your explanations. I actual understand all that, I'm just dreaming about how I'd like it to be.

MIDI started in the early '80s and evolved thru the '90s. MIDI 2 in 2017/2020.

As I understand it, MIDI 2 will only work with devices supporting it, not our current devices.

There are some keyboards, at least, that support polyphonic aftertouch already, which, coupled with the software able to interpret it, would be the perfect way to achieve the single note bends like are so typical in performance of an actual koto (or guitar, clavichord, hurdy-gurdy, etc.), and what, no doubt, the OP is trying to achieve.

The in-real-time, differential, single-note bend controlled by aftertouch on a keyboard is a capability that we have waited on for quite a while, except of course for the aforementioned clavichord, which has had this ability for six hundred years!  🙂