how to apply pitch bend just to a note?

JonnyHeyhey

Question

Hi is it possible to just target a specific note with pitch bend?

Like for instance, I play an arppegiated chord C then E then G on my koto instrument.

But I just want the last note G to pitch bend up and down

When I assign the pitch bend, the C and E bends up and down with the G...like I can hear the tail sound of C and E move with the pitch bend and I don't want that.

Thanks

This depends entirely on the synth are you using?  Which synth are you using?

If the synth you're using is not multitimbral (can trigger different sounds on multiple channels), then one way is to use separate instances of the synth for the notes that you need to bend to a different range.

Edited by Promidi

2 hours ago, Promidi said:

This depends entirely on the synth are you using?  Which synth are you using?

If the synth you're using is not multitimbral (can trigger different sounds on multiple channels), then one way is to use separate instances of the synth for the notes that you need to bend to a different range.

Ah right ok..I'm using premier koto kaguya, it's a kontakt synth

I have never done anything with MPE (Midi Polyphonic Expression), but I thought the MPE Spec enabled gear that supported MPE to map controllers on a note-by-note basis.  Pure speculation on my part, but if that's true and you don't have an MPE controller, but the soft synth supports MPE, maybe there's a way to insert the proper midi data to make it happen.  Just a guess here.

54 minutes ago, JonnyHeyhey said:

Ah right ok..I'm using premier koto kaguya, it's a kontakt synth

Then it looks like you can just load the same instrument into more than 1 slot. Then simply set the MIDI Channels of each slot accordingly.

I don't use Kontakt, but I reckon that's you'd do it. 

I have the same dilemma with pedal steels so I just use more than one pedal steel track to get independent pitch bends on each string.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

33 minutes ago, JonnyHeyhey said:

Hmmmmm hopefully someone here knows !

Have you tried support here? I assume that with all the details they have listed there, customer support would know.

UPDATE: Evidently the place to ask is in their KVR Forum, not support. Maybe its the CEO who posts and answers questions there?

Edited by User 905133

4 minutes ago, Kurre said:

Am i missing something here?

It doesn't say it's live performance so why not record the midi. Then in prv select the G chord and move it up or down.

That would affect all notes.  Also, moving would achieve an abrupt change.

I think the op wants to achieve a smooth glide from one note to another using pitch bend.  However, if you do that to an instrument on a single track, all notes bend to the same range (usually 2 semitones up, 2 semitones down)

Some instruments (a pedal steel for example) bend just one string of a chord. They also may bend one note, one semitone, and another note, 2 semitones.  That's why I suggested inserting the instrument (a koto kaguya in the case of the OP) in both Kontact slots so that each instrument instance can have independent pitch bends.

• Great Idea 1

Thank you guys so much for replying......much much appreciated... :D......yes trying to bend just one note in a chord but don't want to affect the other ones.......that tutorial seems interesting I will look at it when I get back home from work today.

So I guess you guys usually pitch bend the whole chord? Am I the only one here who just just pitch bends a note in a chord lol...

48 minutes ago, JonnyHeyhey said:

Thank you guys so much for replying......much much appreciated... :D......yes trying to bend just one note in a chord but don't want to affect the other ones.......that tutorial seems interesting I will look at it when I get back home from work today.

So I guess you guys usually pitch bend the whole chord? Am I the only one here who just just pitch bends a note in a chord lol...

I've done a lot of country tracks that use pedal steels.  Therefore, I too, sometimes only need to bend one note while leaving the others untouched.

As per previous posts, I just use a second pedal steels track to bend that one note.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sjoens said:

^ This.

My hardware synth/sequencer has built in option of bending the last note of a chord but cant be done like that in CbB's PRV. And not aware of any virtual instruments set up that way. 

Maybe the new articulation track can do it??

The ability to bend just one note is 100 percent dependant on the synthesiser you are using.

Id pitch

With Cakewalk's Z3TA+ 2 , you can map an oscillator's pitch to polyphonic aftertouch

1 hour ago, sjoens said:

^ This.

My hardware synth/sequencer has built in option of bending the last note of a chord but cant be done like that in CbB's PRV. And not aware of any virtual instruments set up that way. 

Maybe the new articulation track can do it??

The ability to bend just one note is 100 percent dependant on the synthesiser you are using.

If pitch bend was required to bend just one note, the synth would have to have a way to be told (via MIDI commands) which note to bend.  Again, 100 percent dependant on the synthesiser.

Of course, some synths can use other parameters to bend pitch - like polyphonic Aftertouch for instance.

For example, with Cakewalk's Z3TA+ 2 , you can map an oscillator's pitch to polyphonic aftertouch so that it bends just once note and leaves the others alone.  That is because the MIDI polyphonic aftertouch event string contains the actual note number to be affected.

Maybe you could use articulation maps to convert existing Channel aftertouch events to polyphonic aftertouch events .  However, you would need a specific mapping entry for each note you wish to affect.

Personally, I find it easier to just use a second instance of a synth on a separate track (if your using VSTi plugins).  With Hardware synths, you are totally dependant on the capabilities of that synth. 

• Like 1

Cakewalk currently does not support MIDI 2.0 - we'll be working closely with Microsoft when they natively support MIDI 2.0 in Windows.

Pitch Bend is a channel event, which means it'll affect all notes on that channel.

Polyphonic after touch is the only note specific event available, but very few synths support this (most only support Channel after touch).  Using after touch also would limit you to only bending up, or bending down.

The way I've done this in the past is to use a CAL script to split each note into separate tracks and channels, then move these tracks in to separate lanes (making sure the MIDI channel of the track is set to "None").  This way I could apply pitch bend on a specific lane/channel/note.  This could be done either by recording the pitch bend, or by using an automation curve.

As I was using hardware synths at the time, this involved creating a multi-patch with the same sound on each MIDI channel.

I think @Promidi 's idea of using a second instance is probably the easiest for VSTi's.

• Great Idea 2

There's times when you need one note to bend 1 semitone and another to bend 2, or one up and one down, etc.

I don't really understand Articulation Tracks and may never - but - It might be cool if Take Lanes on a single MIDI track could be used to handle this.

Or a 3rd lane specific to them.

41 minutes ago, sjoens said:

There's times when you need one note to bend 1 semitone and another to bend 2, or one up and one down, etc.

Again, in these situations, I just use two instances of the same VSTi.  If the synth does not achieve it with single instance, then so amount of MIDI trickery will make it happen.  Well, you could fake it by splitting one of the notes mid bend and then shifting the post note by a semitone. Then you can temporarily adjust the attack and release so you don't notice the break between notes.

For me, it's just easier to use two tracks.

42 minutes ago, sjoens said:

I don't really understand Articulation Tracks and may never - but - It might be cool if Take Lanes on a single MIDI track could be used to handle this.

Or a 3rd lane specific to them.

Even doing this you are still going to send the MIDI data to a single synth sound - so the bend will affect all notes the same.  It will be up to the synth to separate out the notes into different tracks. 

Again , two instances of the same VSTi is the way to go.

It is interesting that this fundamental effect, so easy to achieve and a core expression when performing on an acoustic, especially string, instrument, is one level that MIDI has been so slow to attain. I totally get that it's difficult in MIDI.  I'm not asking why. And I'm excited about Polyphonic Expression and MIDI 2.0 (it's about time! How long have we been on version 1.0 ??). I'm just saying that it's curious that some things that are so simple in meat space prove so difficult in the digital realm.

Edited by winkpain