Request - Meters graphics update

RBH

I understand that re-sizable track view layouts might not lend itself to hi resolution meters. But the Console view seems to have better real estate available.

Also - it would great to have an alternate meter background color for MIDI meters view in both track and console views. Sharing the same green background sort of confuses the quick glance for metering on audio and midi tracks. I would choose a blue background for Midi meters personally.

It would an great forward looking update to have meters fly-out for a high res view by dbl clicking it - sort of the way the Prochannel  quad EQ does. Dbl clicking the peak and RMS value widgets to re-set  etc.  Maybe nesting a high res  - Fader Gain and Pan pot flyout - large scale.

Edited by RBH
  • Like 3

On 1/31/2021 at 8:33 AM, RBH said:

It would an great forward looking update to have meters fly-out for a high res view by dbl clicking it - sort of the way the Prochannel  quad EQ does. Dbl clicking the peak and RMS value widgets to re-set  etc.  Maybe nesting a high res  - Fader Gain and Pan pot flyout - large scale.

NON-Segmented meter colors are changeable but use the same colors for both MIDI & Audio tracks.

Preferences>Customization>Audio Meters is misleading as it affects both MIDI & Audio meters.

(Edited...)

Edited by sjoens

• 2 weeks later...

I second what OP wrote. There is quite good space available on the console beside the fader to make the meter a lot bigger and more detailed. 
And the suggestion to make it pop out even bigger or be able to dock a real big meter of the chosen channel would be great when recording.

I would also really like to easily (not using any theme editor) set values where the meter changes colors, so you easily see where the signal resides.

12 hours ago, itzaStudio said:

Which one?

And why?

1. There is quite good space available on the console beside the fader to make the meter a lot bigger and more detailed. 

The space is shared by both styles. So while true with non-segmented meters, it's not with segmented meters. What could be done is place the non-segmented meter digits beside the meters like they are with the segmented meters.

2. I would also really like to easily (not using any theme editor) set values where the meter changes colors, so you easily see where the signal resides.

As far as I know, to accomplish all that, the meter code & graphics would have to be reconfigured. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

With segmented meters you can repaint the color change point with mixed results as the default point of change is -6 and everything below that point repeats/extends itself for the larger scales.

A larger flyout could be added to existing code.

Edited by sjoens

On 2/17/2021 at 8:17 AM, sjoens said:

1. There is quite good space available on the console beside the fader to make the meter a lot bigger and more detailed. 

The space is shared by both styles. So while true with non-segmented meters, it's not with segmented meters. What could be done is place the non-segmented meter digits beside the meters like they are with the segmented meters.

2. I would also really like to easily (not using any theme editor) set values where the meter changes colors, so you easily see where the signal resides.

As far as I know, to accomplish all that, the meter code & graphics would have to be reconfigured. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

With segmented meters you can repaint the color change point with mixed results as the default point of change is -6 and everything below that point repeats/extends itself for the larger scales.

A larger flyout could be added to existing code.

OK, now I get what you meant :)

Yes, it would require reconfiguration of code and graphics maybe. The time has come ... ;)

Maybe it didn't need to have two setups to choose from, if the one meter available was revamped. IMO Nugens Visualizer have a really good peak/rms meter, with also the ability to K-scale and others. (at the bottom, although lying down)
Visualizer.png

• 1 month later...

I think current real estate would allow plenty of room for improvement. If we could choose to locate the track Icons above the gain " pot  " . I personally don't have a need for track icons in the console view. I think using  icons generally  looks a little amateurish - But I realize it's important to many users.  Higher res meters with select-able RMS / K Scale  would be great.

On 1/31/2021 at 8:33 AM, RBH said:

Also - it would great to have an alternate meter background color for MIDI meters view in both track and console views. Sharing the same green background sort of confuses the quick glance for metering on audio and midi tracks. I would choose a blue background for Midi meters personally.

This is readily doable using Theme Editor. As a matter of fact, I agree with you and will now be adding this feature to my own custom theme. Thanks for the idea.

Once you install Theme Editor, under C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Themes\Theme Editor Toolkit, there are complete sets of meter images in 6 different colors, with multiple variations of each color.

If you don't feel like doing it yourself, wait for the next revision of Racing Green, which will have contrasting meters for MIDI. Possibly blue, even.

• Great Idea 1

• 2 weeks later...

I took a stab at theme editing a couple of years back, I spent so much time trying to learn the basics -  it was taking more time than music making. I will give it another go. Thanks for the tip.