A Breath of Air - a new original collab with Lynn Wilson

daryl1968

Hi folks

Sorry I've been missing for a while - I hope everyone is well.

Here's a song that @Lynn Wilson and I co-wrote and recorded. The topic is pretty transparent and sorry if it upsets anyone but it comes from the right place in our heart.

Lyrics below link

A Breath of Air
Written and performed by Lynn Wilson and Staypress
V1
There's been a weird sort of atmosphere
In the northern hemisphere
Neighbour versus neighbour
Conflict without waver

Pre-chorus
After years of division let's hope that we
Can build a new democracy

Chorus
A breath of air
A moment to think
A while to recover from the political stink
A breath of air
Fill your chest
With a thought for the future and a hope for the best

V2
There's been some disinformation
Spread around the nation
Theory upon theory
People getting weary

Pch. 2
After years of division let's hope that we
Haven't broken our democracy

Chorus

Middle bit
We're sick of all the fighting
No more inciting

Pch 2

Chorus to end

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Douglas Kirby said:

nice job on this collab

I'll second (third or fourth? that)

4 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

like the guitar tone

+ that too

👍's

t

one tiny crit; understand I lurves me some busy kick, but a couple of spots it felt like metal madness

i'll get me hat...

• Like 2

Daryl, I'm really impressed and excited by how this turned out!  You took the music that I gave you and dressed it up, wrote words that have meaning in these times, and made sense of this.  Your voice has a touch of David Gilmour which adds something special to this project.  Thank you for thinking of me!

• Like 4

Nicely done gentlemen ! Don't apologize for the topic, it needs to be said. I thought it was a positive message. Lynn mentions Dave Gilmour, and at first listen, the guitar effect actually reminded me of an old song where Dave Gilmour played on a Paul McCartney song . . . lots of junk on that signal chain, but it really works here. You seem to always get very clear mixes, so nothing more to add there. Guys, keep on rockin' in the free world, as they say here in Canada.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 12:21 PM, Douglas Kirby said:

Hi guys - nice job on this collab - I thought it was a good song and I enjoyed the listen.

The mix sounds quite good to my ears - the lead vocal was just right mix-wise.

I liked that lead guitar tone - nicely done there.

Thanks Douglas - I agree, Lynn's performance and tone is excellent

On 1/31/2021 at 5:08 PM, DeeringAmps said:

I'll second (third or fourth? that)

+ that too

👍's

t

one tiny crit; understand I lurves me some busy kick, but a couple of spots it felt like metal madness

i'll get me hat...

Cheers Tom - 

the manic kicks are to make sure you're awake and paying attention :)

• Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 6:56 PM, Lynn Wilson said:

Daryl, I'm really impressed and excited by how this turned out!  You took the music that I gave you and dressed it up, wrote words that have meaning in these times, and made sense of this.  Your voice has a touch of David Gilmour which adds something special to this project.  Thank you for thinking of me!

mate - you started it and gave the inspiration. A true collab I believe

On 2/1/2021 at 12:57 AM, noynekker said:

Nicely done gentlemen ! Don't apologize for the topic, it needs to be said. I thought it was a positive message. Lynn mentions Dave Gilmour, and at first listen, the guitar effect actually reminded me of an old song where Dave Gilmour played on a Paul McCartney song . . . lots of junk on that signal chain, but it really works here. You seem to always get very clear mixes, so nothing more to add there. Guys, keep on rockin' in the free world, as they say here in Canada.

Thanks Noynekker - very much appreciated

11 hours ago, jack c. said:

first part sounds like a commercial that was used on partridge.great recording job and harmony nice song.i'd like the kick without those 16th notes.nice chord changes.jack c.

what's your vocal effect chain?

Thanks a lot Jack. 

Vocal is recorded using a Rode NT2-A microphone (had it for years but love it),  compression is Native Instruments Solid Dynamics, reverb is Valhalla room, the slightly thickening effect is NI Choral - slow leslie preset with some tweaking.  There's all sorts of other schtuff through the Pro Channel to give it a bit of dirt too.

Ooh - also lashings of Melodyne and the like