Melodyne 5 Studio Upgrade worth the cost?

Shane_B.

Has anyone here upgraded from Melodyne 4 Studio to 5 Studio?

The only thing I see in M5S that I would use is it has a de-esser function now. It finds sibilance and adjusts the volume. It doesn't use compression and therefor doesn't alter the rest of the vocal signal.

I was hoping to see some UI updates plus it always felt clunky to me for lack of a better word but it looks the same except it has a few new features. None of which I would use except the de-esser. It's pretty rare that I use M4S to be honest because the UI is difficult to use for me.

Thanks.

13 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

Has anyone here upgraded from Melodyne 4 Studio to 5 Studio?

The only thing I see in M5S that I would use is it has a de-esser function now. It finds sibilance and adjusts the volume. It doesn't use compression and therefor doesn't alter the rest of the vocal signal.

I was hoping to see some UI updates plus it always felt clunky to me for lack of a better word but it looks the same except it has a few new features. None of which I would use except the de-esser. It's pretty rare that I use M4S to be honest because the UI is difficult to use for me.

Thanks.

The sibilant tool is worth the price of admission. But I also love the leveling macro that will make quiet notes louder and louder notes quieter so you don't have to compress as heavy-handed.  The overall pitch detection is so much better and there is a new algorithm for pitched percussion. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Salvatore Monella said:

The sibilant tool is worth the price of admission. But I also love the leveling macro that will make quiet notes louder and louder notes quieter so you don't have to compress as heavy-handed.  The overall pitch detection is so much better and there is a new algorithm for pitched percussion.

Yes the sibilant tool is really nice. Every de-esser I've ever used, even the preset in Melda's AutoDynamicEQ which is my go-to de-esser now, takes the 'air' out of vocals. It does something that just kills the highs and I don't have the patients to manually apply it to only the parts I want. Using M5S would be the same as chopping up your vocal clips and manually bringing down the sibilance which is how I used to do it.

I saw that video and yes it does look like it's improved greatly under the hood. I guess I'll go get on my knees and beg the wife to let me do this. I've spent a lot on my DAW lately unfortunately but I'm worried if I wait between versions too long my upgrade price will double.

43 minutes ago, Shane_B. said:

but I'm worried if I wait between versions too long my upgrade price will double.

I don't think you have to worry about that. If anything, it's possible they'll do a sale, since the studio version was the only version of melodyne 5 that wasn't discounted during Black Friday. That being said, I'm happy that I upgraded.