Fading on Midi or Instrument tracks

iZiKKO

Hi guys. Fading is easy on Cakewalk IF you have just a regular audio track. BUT, if you have a midi or instrument track it gets more complicated. What is your easiest, or preferred method of fading in and out on midi tracks? This is a beginner question, so please explain this as you would explain it to your grandmother :)

MidiFades.jpg

Edited by iZiKKO

I tend to use instrument tracks, so I'll fade that out the same way as any other audio track.

For multi-timbral VSTi's, I either:

• Make sure the VSTi is sending to multiple outs, and do the fade automation on the relevant audio track; or
  • Record the controller information for either CC #7 (volume), or CC #11 (expression) depending on how the VSTi (or hardware MIDI device) reacts.

The Roland "D" series sound modules (D110, D50, U110)  for example, don't react to CC #7 in realtime - i.e. existing notes stay the same, and the new volume only takes effect when the next note is played. CC #11 can however be used to affect the volume for notes that are already playing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

I tend to use instrument tracks, so I'll fade that out the same way as any other audio track.

Mate, regular "drag" fading does not seem to work on Instruments tracks either?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Instrument track clips behave like MIDI clips until frozen, then they behave like audio clips. So you have 3 choices.

1. Add volume cc's in PRV (MIDI clip) (works only if softsynth responds to cc data)

2. Add a volume envelope or Automation (MIDI & Audio clips)

3. Real time fade (Audio/Frozen clips) - This one can be permanently applied to the clip by bouncing it.

Edited by sjoens
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

From the original post,  easy or preferred.  He's familiar with audio fading from his description and pic of his faded in/out audio track.  It really depends, but easiest is a single click on the tracks freeze icon, then it's business as usual for fading in/out.  If you have effects in the effects rack, it gets more complicated, but certainly early on in the recording/creative part of song development, if you just want a super fast way to fade a midi clip, this is what I use.  As you can see in this clip from page 841 of the May 2020 Cakewalk Reference Guide (English version), is tells you the effects don't work in a track if it's frozen.   On my DAW pic, the freeze icon is active which is why the former midi clip in green now looks like an audio clip (because it is until you unfreeze the clip/track)  Good luck.

Freeze.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I love how the original poster said "explain it like you were explaining it to your grandmother" and mscleod (who says he's staff) responds with:

"multi-timbral VSTi's, I either:

Record the controller information for either CC #7 (volume), or CC #11 (expression) depending on how the VSTi (or hardware MIDI device) reacts.

The Roland "D" series sound modules (D110, D50, U110)  for example, don't react to CC #7 in realtime "

Full of jargon!! And this guy is a representative of Cakewalk!! This doesn't bode well for others looking to choose a DAW.

• Meh 1

2 hours ago, JayKayVN said:

Full of jargon!! And this guy is a representative of Cakewalk!! This doesn't bode well for others looking to choose a DAW.

dealing with intricacies of MIDI often require some details... the OP seemed happy with the original response - use automation. now they're at the point of finding the optimal or alternative MIDI CC which do this best... 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JayKayVN said:

I love how the original poster said "explain it like you were explaining it to your grandmother" and mscleod (who says he's staff) responds with:

If you're going to be doing this, you had best learn some "jargon" or you will be hopelessly lost.

BTW,  the clear, concise reply you're complaining about is called "technical language," not "jargon." There is a difference.

• 1 year later...
On 3/25/2019 at 8:13 AM, iZiKKO said:

....so please explain this as you would explain it to your grandmother :)

My grandmother has a Ph.D in computer science and is Professor Emeritus at Salisbury University. So, she would probably explain it better to me. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 9 months later...
On 9/14/2021 at 1:16 PM, JayKayVN said:

GREAT first post 🤢