Master Output randomly goes missing

Dim Giant

Anytime Cakewalk crashes while I'm working on a project, and I restart the program, this message invariably appears: 

"The following tracks and buses are currently assigned to a silent hardware output. The items listed below will be silent in your project until their outputs are reassigned to an appropriate hardware output."

Master is the only output listed when this occurs. 

Even more aggravating, none of the listed outputs will work. I can't even make a new master bus to replace the one malfunctioning. To make matters worse with a note of finality, I can't so much as copy and paste the contents of one project to another, because if a project is open where the master bus is unassigned, the problem spreads to all other opened projects. 

I've been dealing with this since Sonar X2 producer. I don't suppose anyone's stumbled onto a solution during that 5 year interim? 

Before you say it: yes, all the inputs are properly assigned in preferences. 

Cheers,

Dim

• 3 weeks later...

First thing I would try is another interface. Possibly you have a store or friend that would lend you one. 

Another easy way to test  would be to disconnect your interface and use on board sound with WASAPI Exclusive mode   As long as your not recording that will be fine. 

Edited by John Vere

Roland make good stuff. But that does bring up the question of whether the drivers are up to date or not for W10 latest version.

I have an M Audio fast track pro that works with the early versions of W10 but now the drivers can’t even be installed. So even if the driver download says W10 that might not mean the latest update. 

It's likely that your Quad Capture driver is not being released when the crash occurs. Try disconnecting the usb cable for a moment, then reconnecting before restarting CbB. Another way would be to go to device manager and disable the Quad Capture momentarily, then re-enable.

Not sure if this is related, but some years back I used to get a similar thing happening when I used the Channel Tools plugin. Sometimes it would happen while inserting it on a track, and sometimes it would happen if I was adjusting the plugin parameters, but the end result was the same - there would be like a click/pop sound and the master buss of the project would be dead. It would still play and all the track meters would work, but there would be no output from the Master and it was not re-assignable. Re-booting the PC was the only solution.  After the reboot,  sometimes it may have re-occurred, sometimes not! It was random but only happened to me when Channel Tools was involved. FWIW my interface was (and still is) an RME Babyface. 

Since then there's been loads of updates to Cakewalk, Windows, and my RME drivers, so I haven't seen the issue (not that I use Channel Tools that much any more.)

• 2 weeks later...

Great advice fellas, thank each and every one of you. In the end, though it's rough to admit, I think John Vere and Lapasoa are right. I did use a different interface for a time, *however*, it was the Roland Octa-Capture. Same problems from tech made around the same time. Might be time for me to let go of my favorite old stuff.

It looks like I'll just have to start investing in other options. In the meantime, Millzy is also onto something: unplugging and replugging in the interface seems to provide a short term solution, reloading the ASIO drivers. 

I know this has been a frustrating problem for several people, and this thread won't necessarily provide an ideal solution to anyone. As one last aside for those frustrated few- sometimes I'm also able to get the ASIO back by swapping out the ASIO playback for MME or WASAPI Exclusive and then reverting back to ASIO after restarting the PC.