Chord information is not exported to midi files

Ludwig

I am new to Cakewalk and have the following problem:
The chord information that I made in the cwp file is not being transferred when exporting to a mid file.

This is the midi event list in cwp file:

CW_with_Chords.jpg.3bb0c387bbb13128b67daa4278cda152.jpg

and this in the exported mid file:

CW_without_Chords.jpg.d35e9a10f90d26c42350e5321a38b48e.jpg

("Gesangstext" = lyrics, "Akkord" = chord)

How can I fix this?

First guess: I don't believe that "chord" is part of the MIDI specification. Only valid MIDI data is exported to a '.mid' MIDI file. Anything else that was added by Cakewalk gets stripped out with that export.

Cakewalk is capable of containing a lot of additional info in a project beyond just MIDI data.

To retain any project info beyond MIDI, you need to save it as a Cakewalk '.cwp' project file.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, John Vere said:

What my I ask is the reason to include the chords in the midi file? 

Some (most?) arranger keyboards can show them on the internal display in addition to the lyrics while playing the song.

• Great Idea 1

8 hours ago, Kurre said:

Maybe it could work somehow if you follow the procedures to make a karaoke file.

I didn't find any option to export the data as a *.kar file. What are these "procedures" and where can I find them? I now there are a lot of utilities to produce a kar file out of a midi file, but does it work in cakewalk?

No unless things have changed. I looked into this years ago when I worked in a Care Home. Before I came along they had been forking over a lot of money for these real bad Karaoke CD's. I thought I could make my own. I looked into this and the software was terrible and often $$$ . I think it was a popular thing in the 90's but left in the dust now. You best bet is to google 10 best free Karaoke creation software. The way it worked before was you export a WAVE file, not a midi and then the software was to add movies, pictures and the lyrics. Hmm, that,s not what you need. So forget it. 

Did you try googling imbedding Chords in midi data? Might just be a midi plug in?? 

Here's an example:

Let's say I play a C major chord at middle C at C4 on a keyboard with first inversion, and record it as a MIDI clip. The MIDI data recorded would store three separate note on, and note off events at the same time stamp for that C, E, and G, with velocity data, and any other controllers in use at the time. Basically like an old time player piano with holes punched in paper for each note, but a little more sophisticated.

Then it would be up to the program or device playing back the resulting MIDI file to recognize and interpret/display the presence of the C major chord, if it has the capability of chord recognition. The MIDI file is not saying, "hey, here's a chord".

You might have better luck importing your MIDI into a notation program that can export MusicXML, and marking it up there, then sharing in MusicXML format.

Edited by abacab

On 1/30/2021 at 10:52 PM, abacab said:

I don't believe that "chord" is part of the MIDI specification.

This seems to be true. I found out that the "chord" information is part of Yamaha's SMF format extension ("XF format") as described in the following document (see p. 19 ff.)

XF Specification.pdf

As long as cakewalk does not support the XF format, it will probably not export the chords.

Anyway - thank you for your support.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ludwig said:

This seems to be true. I found out that the "chord" information is part of Yamaha's SMF format extension ("XF format") as described in the following document (see p. 19 ff.)

XF Specification.pdf 191.07 kB · 0 downloads

As long as cakewalk does not support the XF format, it will probably not export the chords.

Anyway - thank you for your support.

Support for the Yamaha XF data format.

Yamaha owns Steinberg.

Cubase supports the Yamaha XF format. XF is an extension of the standard MIDI file format that allows you to save song-specific data with a MIDI file of type 0.

When importing a MIDI file containing XF data, this data is placed in parts on separate tracks called “XF Data”, “Chord Data”, or “SysEx Data”. You can edit such a part in the List Editor (e. g. to add or change lyrics).

Important

Do not change the order of events within the XF data or the event data itself, unless you have a lot of experience with XF data.

Cubase can also export XF data as part of a MIDI file of type 0. If you do not want to export the XF data together with the MIDI data, mute or delete the tracks containing the XF data.

https://steinberg.help/cubase_elements_le_ai/v9/en/cubase_nuendo/topics/file_handling/file_handling_for_yamaha_xf_data_format_supported_c.html

Edited by abacab