Cloud Storage Of Cakewalk Projects?

user390096

Question

Is anybody using cloud storage of their Cakewalk Projects? I'm trying to. I have about 600 GB of files (1200+ projects/songs). I just bought the Microsoft OneDrive 6 TB service but I don't see that it's uploading much at all, I just see a "pending sync" icon next to each folder. I also have a much smaller Google GDrive and I've learned that uploading just 1 project with only about 20 .wav files can take well over an hour and I'm using very slow Xfinity cable internet. Doing the math it may take months to upload everything so I'm considering buying FIOS for a month or so to speed things up as their upload speed is a lot faster than cable.

Anyway, is anybody doing this and are there things to look out for? And yes I have all my projects backed up in 2 places on hard drives but I wanted something off-site as well.

UPDATE: It didn't go well and I safely deleted my CW files in the Cloud,  but don't have anything good to say about OneDrive. I actually was in a chat with a chat person from MS who took me by the hand and helped me set it up but this chat expert didn't realize my smallish "C" drive would be utilized and filled with files during the upload and made my whole computer unstable, a total mess. All I wanted to do was copy and sync my "D" drive CW Projects folder on the cloud. My "D" drive is a separate 8 TB magnetic drive but for some reason, which I think is a default setting, the OneDrive software is designed to work with your "C" drive and it just filled up the 80 GB I had open (my "C" drive is a Samsung 500 GB M.2 style).  After it totally filled up my "C" drive I kept getting error messages that I didn't have any storage space. Hunh? How could that be as I was preparing to buy 6 TB of storage?

Anyway I was able to "unlink" my computer, then delete everything in the cloud without it also deleting everything on my "D", and maybe "C" drive. Then cancelled my 30 day free trial on the 28th day. Once I deleted everything, including the CW Project files and every link with the word "OneDrive lurking around my computer, my "C" drive got back about 100 GB of free-space (I think I had about 20 GB in my trash folder that I also deleted).

Now my whole computer is working very well again and I'll continue to back-up my files with on-site external HD's.  OneDrive seems geared to light users with small files on a one hard-drive computer, like students, etc.

@user390096 I'm not surprised. So far I agree with your assessment. I've had similary issues. I haven't given up yet though. I'm waiting for Microsoft to respond to my latest email. Microsoft tutorials don't address issues like OneDrive adding a folder that can get big quick and the default location is your C:\ drive.

The issue I'm dealing with now is that OneDrive can backup you user Documents folder which I don't use at all because there are so many applications that place folders in the Documents folder. I have been placing documents I create or download in a H:\OneDrive\My Documents folder. However while trying to repair a OneDrive sync problem, I unlinked and re-launced OneDrive and accidentally chose for OneDrive to backup my Documents folder. Well in it's AI wisdom it merged the Documents folder with the My Documents folder. Now I'm trying to figure out how to reverse that process without corrupting all or the applications folders that were in the Documents folder. Will advise once I have this sorted.

Edited by Bill Phillips
Correction

i have my OneDrive and Google Drive on my D content drive. With the Google Drive you can pick folders outside of the base folder, OneDrive unfortunately only allows choices within the base folder.

when setting up the OneDrive you need to unlink it after the initial install, then move the folder, and relink it and then point to the folder you moved.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/change-the-location-of-your-onedrive-folder-f386fb81-1461-40a7-be2c-712676b2c4ae

• Great Idea 1

On 3/9/2021 at 6:06 PM, Glenn Stanton said:

when setting up the OneDrive you need to unlink it after the initial install, then move the folder, and relink it and then point to the folder you moved.

Yes. I put it in it's own partition.  Leaving OneDrive on the System volume puts it in competition with programs for storage space. 

14 hours ago, Bill Phillips said:

Yes. I put it in it's own partition.  Leaving OneDrive on the System volume puts it in competition with programs for storage space. 

is it the same underlying disk or a partition on the same disk as the OS? i recommend a separate physical disk because (esp if its a rotating disk drive) the access contention will be higher.

• Great Idea 1