vocal effect chain

jack c.

I don’t know what a “dynamics” buss means.  And dynamics means compressor limiters, not eq.  Busses are usually reserved for reverb or combining stems and treating them the same, like drums.

I’ll usually use a reverb buss and then a guitar buss to combine and treat guitars, incl. dynamics and eq.  I’ll often use a lead buss, and shunt the lead vox and lead guitar through it instead of the instrument and or backing vox reverb buss.   Puts them in the same space that stands out.

This a bit of a dangerous question because ask 100 people and you will get 100 different answers. And what if 50 of those are the wrong way of doing it which is a high probability on a user forum. 
I know you goals are to learn about audio engineering and at least you’re willing to do that. Surprisingly a lot don’t. 
but I highly recommend seeking out professional documents as a starting point. 
I’m liking all the Creative Sauce videos he’s a good teacher. 
My first book was the Yamaha  Sound Handbook  it’s outdated but the foundation of analog sound engineering is an irreplaceable asset even in a digital age 

https://bgaudioclub.org/uploads/docs/Yamaha_Sound_Reinforcement_Handbook_2nd_Edition_Gary_Davis_Ralph_Jones.pdf

You see if you grew up on analog mixing consoles and your effects came at a high price and required cables, you would know exactly how to run a signal chain. 

Mike into Input / Or Tape Return 

adjust gain

Compressor via insert jack( bin)

Adjust EQ ( pro channel)

Aux send to Reverb and delay which go out mono and return stereo to return it to Master  ( sub busses to master) 

See it’s actually very simple. It just seems complicated because it’s not real. But a DAW is laid out just like Mixing console 

Edited by John Vere

Gain staging first. How you will process vocals depends largely on the song and the style of vocals. You wouldn't want to apply the same chain used in screaming heavy metal vocals to a gentle airy female vocal in an acoustic slow song. and vice versa. There are no recipes for this. Maybe pick a song where you like the vocal mix and try to replicate it, for example.