Strange patching scheme

Kevin White

This is going to be a bit tricky to attempt to convey. The basis of what I'm trying to do is patch two computer rigs together via a LAN using IP routing software: VB Audio's Voicemeeter (VM)

It's very simple. You install VM on two machines on the same LAN - and route (via the software) to the other machine's inputs via IP addresses and internal porting on VM's "virtual mixer". It's essentially mixer/signal router. Like CW it's a brilliant piece of FREE software (in home user form). It's simple: 3 "hardware inputs" that recognize hardware drivers in windows, and 2 "virtual" inputs that recognize "internal" inputs from "applications" such as Chrome, Cantabile or VM itself (for example). 

Due to Covid, I'm setting up a keyboard station in the basement, feeding a foldback signal to it, and receiving audio input from the keys via Cantabile virtual routing.

I'm using a Soundcraft Ui24r for the hardware console (drums/bass/guitar) ... which can be used as an extravagant soundcard, patching into CW via USB. Works great. 20 channels of Studer quality inputs.

The trouble occurs in CW. I can choose EITHER to use Soundcraft drivers for input OR my Layla's OR Voicemeeter as a driver set, but NOT simultaneously together. More on that in a sec.

Mind that prior to anyone investing any thought into this, there is a workaround. VM has an onboard 2 track recorder that I can run to record the remote station sending signal from the basement (where the keys are being played) - so I CAN record simultaneously - the hardware (SC) into CW, and the VM into the stereo recorder on the VM console. I have to, though, then later match up the tracks - take for take - timing for timing.

My preference, obviously, is to be able to track directly into CW FROM VM - but we circle back to the driver conflict issue. 

I don't know if there's a workaround for that - so I thought I'd gather some thoughts from folks "in the know" perhaps of a way around that essential hurdle. IF I could activate the VM drivers alongside the SC drivers (there are 5 potential inputs), then voila', problem solved.

If not, and I'm not expecting folks to be able to solve this specifically, for the scenario is a spaghetti of virtual patching, but perhaps maybe folks can think of something I'm missing conceptually that might further trigger an alternative way to think about it.

Thanks in advance for any/all thoughts!!

Edited by Kevin White

10 minutes ago, Kevin White said:

The trouble occurs in CW. I can choose EITHER to use Soundcraft drivers for input OR my Layla's OR Voicemeeter as a driver set, but NOT simultaneously together.

The ASIO specification calls for the host to use one I/O driver at a time.

Cakewalk follows the ASIO spec when using ASIO driver mode.

None of the other driver modes have this restriction.

ASIO4All can aggregate devices because it uses WDM drivers,

Another option may be

• Great Idea 1

I have ASIO4ALL installed on my rig.

I don't think I've ever routed through it though (how does it "aggregate").

How is that done?

You may have the solution, though. That's EXACTLY the type of thing I was looking for.

Edited by Kevin White