BandLab : Upload from Cakewalk Overwrites project in bandlab

Jeroen Maesen

Hello

We have a recording in Cakewalk of our rehearsal. This is 30min long and contains 3 songs.

When I export a selection of that recording to bandlab, like the first song, everything is ok.

Then when I export a different selection from the recording to bandlab it overwrites the first project that was created.

I give it a different name. I have also tried to modify the recording, changing the name of the clips, closing/re-opening cakewalk and bandlab.

These do not seem to work.

How can I export multiple selections to different projects from the same recording?

Kind regards

Jeroen

Hey

Apparantly  it is natively built in Cakewalk to overwrite the projects:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=4&help=Mixing.57.html#:~:text=Click the Export button%2C then,Publish to BandLab dialog box.&text=Project Name.,from the Cakewalk project name.

image.thumb.png.caef39f2c2172b71d1948ddde7de695f.png

I have tried copying the cakewalk project and uploading a selection of the copy. But nevertheless it still overwrites the project.

I must say that an additional popup or selection to choose between over-writing or creating a new project might be in place. It is really un-practical like this.
I suppose that if I would create a different cakewalk project per take - it would work. That would also be unpractical during rehearsal.

If this is a way to minimize data-usage on the servers of bandlab (by not alowing members to create endless copies of songs and then not use them anymore), then please just create a paying subscribtion. I'd be more than happy to pay for it! (also an unlimited upload minutes per project). Perhaps have a 'band subscription' for all the members of my band  ( as it is: band-lab, get it? ;)  ). That would be a new one on the market as far as I know.

The strange thing is, that I had and export of this cakewalk project at first, then  did a software update of both cakewalk and bandlab assistant, and then did an other export of the same project. This resulted in having 2 projects in Bandlab. It is just that the 3rd export always over-writes the second one. Like the manual says above. 

What is the way around?
How can I solve this without having to record every song in a different project, or exporting the tracks to separate clips or STEMs and importing these in Bandlab?

Kind regards,

Jeroen

@Jeroen Maesen Sorry for the issue, as mentioned, we're working on significant updates to the publishing workflow with BandLab, expected within the first half of this year.  

In the meantime, you can Save As...  the project in CbB, select the region you want to export, then export to BandLab. Assitant should upload as a new project.

Another way would be to save the selection to file (i.e. as tracks or mix), then drag-drop the file(s) into  Assistant (Assistant will create a single, new project when you drop multiple files at once).

PM me if you encounter any issues or need more assistance.

Thanks,

Jesse 

Yes unfortunately the current implementation ties future updates to a unique ID for the cakewalk project. So even save as doesnt help.
One workaround for now would be to create a new project and copy and paste the data from the original project to that and then save. That should now be treated as a fresh project as far as bandlab is concerned.
This won't be an issue when we have the improved integration. 

Hello Noel and Jesse

I indeed have tried the 'Save as' option unsuccesfully.

Ok, I'll anxiously wait for the new release ;)

You have a great product! keep up the good work!

If I may give some feedback about what I would find usefull:

- a progress window regarding an upload.
- a way to edit the bandlabproject in Cakewalk (like the app on the phone) because the browser does not always work that well
- the question above regarding mutiple uploads from the same project
- keep developing the forkability! great idea! to make it more flexible, I need a way to keep a project within the bands controll. So being able to share it with an other Artist and still block it from being forked foreward. as an example on how we would use it: invite other singers for try outs, without them seeing the result of other singers on the try out. also we don't whant them to share it.
- the ownership: Now, as I uploaded a song, it is 'owned' by me, even if I move it to a band. I'd like to have the possibility to set this as a band. like: who is the 'owner' of a song.

Thank you for listening to my problem!!

Kind regards

Jeroen

Edited by Jeroen Maesen
pressed the enter button too fast..
  • Thanks 1