EVGA Nu Audio PCIe Internal Sound Card (Link To Magazine Review)

Jim Fogle

This is a sweet internal sound card.  I will interested in reading what many of you think  about using a card like this for audio production tasks like mixing.  Suggested Retail is about $249 US.  Nice to see there are sound card options besides Creative.  I like Creative but competition makes everyone better.    

+++ Review Link +++

+++ Manufacturer Product Link 01 +++ &   +++ Manufacturer Product Link 02 +++

Andy,

USB audio interfaces are a great choice for many, I don't deny that and they offer many advantages.  They are plentiful and available at a wide price range.  Many USB interfaces also offer the convenience of close proximity to the user and phantom power for condenser microphones.  Additionally some offer DSP powered VST effects that do not consume computer cpu resources.  If I was planning to use my daw primarily for recording a USB audio interface would be my first choice.

However, in my opinion (and I admit I'm very much a novice) for mixing  and other stages of audio production accurate, clear and defined audio playback is a priority.   It seems to me that many USB audio interfaces emphasize their recording capability more than their audio playback capability.

Unfortunately, audio sound cards are a niche product and focused on gaming audio not production audio.  Creative and ASUS presently own the audio sound card market.  This is the first non gaming focused audio sound card I've seen in a long time.  The one complaint I have is it does not have  a MIDI port.

Edited by fogle622

Unbalanced I/O with phone plugs.

If you're looking for quality recording, that's a bad start.  

Also note, with A/D inside the box, about the best noise-floor I've seen is ~-100dB.

Most of the better audio interfaces with external converters have noise-floor of -110dB to -118dB (usually more expensive interfaces have lower noise-floor).