Problems with Cakewalk

cclarry

6 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Did you notice that his opening title card says "Cakewalk: Things That Need To Be Improved?" He's put out 16 videos demonstrating production techniques for various electronic/dance genres in Cakewalk over the past year, so he comes off to me as kinda the opposite of a hater. Takes the viewer from blank project to mostly finished piece, Bob Ross style. He may not consider Cakewalk to be "the best free DAW," but he doesn't say any of the others is, and from skimming the videos, well, he sure does seem to prefer using it, even if he doesn't regard it as "the best."🙄

His music is good examples of some of those genres if you like that sort of thing (I do) and his Cakewalk technique is pretty well-honed (if you watch his other videos, you'll get insight into why anything that slows his flow might bother him). If the program is to get criticism, at least it should come from someone like this who's spent a lot of time with it rather than those ding-dongs who get all bent when they find out that there's a learning curve. He's paid enough Cakewalk dues to be able to complain a bit, IMO.

I subscribed to his channel.  It's interesting to see someone using Bandlab for dance genres.  

• Like 1

On 1/28/2021 at 2:57 PM, Shane_B. said:

The point where he was talking about the synth not responding to the envelope curve smoothly seems to be the only legit criticism he had imo. It almost sounded like there wasn't enough resolution or points on the envelope curve even though it looked like there were. I may be getting my DAWs mixed up but I seem to recall a setting for that.

Isn't the precision of envelope curves tied to your snap settings?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Michael Vogel said:

Don't forget that before BandLab acquired it from Gibson a few years ago, Sonar Producer by Cakewalk (the full program) was about $499 for the first time buyer with version upgrades around the $179 mark.

Yepper. I paid for every version from 8PE to X2PE. I used it long before that in someone else's studio so I've been using it a lot longer than 8PE. Seem to remember a Pro Audio 7? But I could be wrong. It's been decades.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shane_B. said:

Yepper. I paid for every version from 8PE to X2PE. I used it long before that in someone else's studio so I've been using it a lot longer than 8PE. Seem to remember a Pro Audio 7? But I could be wrong. It's been decades.

I had Cakewalk from Greg Hendershott days. That is how back I go with Cakewalk.  Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

• Haha 1

It would be nice if there were a simple option in the Piano Roll to only show "selected" midi, it could be just a check box in the view options. That said, I've used Ableton EXTENSIVELY, and it has always felt like a toy when it comes to audio editing and manipulation compared to Sonar/Cakewalk. It has its advantages, being able to just grab the tempo while playing dozens of audio tracks and dozens of midi tracks and just speed up or slow down on the fly is AMAZING, but it's no substitute for CbB, it just isn't.

R

1 hour ago, InstrEd said:

I had Cakewalk from Greg Hendershott days. That is how back I go with Cakewalk.  Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

I'd say it's a good thing. Right now it's working better than it ever did for me so I really have no complaints especially for the price. I wouldn't complain even if I did have problems simply because they ask nothing for using it.

7 hours ago, Paul Young said:

I subscribed to his channel.  It's interesting to see someone using Bandlab for dance genres.  

Indeed. XelOhh is another prolific YouTuber who demonstrates hip hop production using Cakewalk. He's a big advocate for Cakewalk getting an integrated phrase/loop sampler.

I'm getting more into electronica, synthwave stuff, and the production techniques are similar, so I check out what he's up to.

People like these will attract newer crowd to the platform, and my hope is that along with that, Cakewalk will get more enhancements oriented to electronic music production.

5 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Isn't the precision of envelope curves tied to your snap settings?

I delved into this last night for the first time putting some pitch and mod wheel moves into an existing synth track, and yes, when I went to draw in the curves using the freehand tool, each node, or "event" was on the snap. I turned snap off and got much smoother curves.

I also commented and suggested that he come to the forum with these issues, so we'll see.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Robert McClellan said:

This may be off topic but I used to be able to drag and drop files into my timeline. I haven’t been able to do so for awhile now. I have to manually go to File>Import Audio...

Is there a setting I’ve disabled?

The most common reason for this is running Cakewalk as administrator. Windows disables drag/drop behaviour for the administrator account as a security measure.

You shouldn't need to run Cakewalk as administrator - the only time when you do is when you first use some older Cakewalk plugins which access protected areas of the registry (sorry, I forget which ones are affected) -  however once those keys are created, you should be good to run Cakewalk as the current user.

• Like 4