Quicker Aux Tracks

Light Grenade

I've switched from using busses to aux tracks and it's made Cakewalk totally scalable. It's great being able to record and freeze my main busses whilst archiving audio/fx tracks to dramatically reduce CPU load. It's been a total game changer actually. 

I'm wondering if there's a quicker way to insert aux tracks? or do I need to go via the track routing/send panels every time? The current implementation requires a lot of scrolling to insert one new aux, especially mid project. It'd be nice to have the option to insert an aux track like a regular track or bus. 

Note - this is CbB, not platinum. I'm just using an older theme. 1435272765_AuxTracks.thumb.png.547bb54111dd46890eff697a0a238de7.png

Edited by Light Grenade
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Light Grenade said:

I've switched from using busses to aux tracks and it's made Cakewalk totally scalable. It's great being able to record and freeze my main busses whilst archiving audio/fx tracks to dramatically reduce CPU load. It's been a total game changer actually. 

I'm wondering if there's a quicker way to insert aux tracks? or do I need to go via the track routing/send panels every time? The current require a lot of scrolling to insert one new aux. It'd be nice to have the option to insert an aux track like a regular track or bus. 

Note - this is CbB, not platinum. I'm just using an older theme. 1435272765_AuxTracks.thumb.png.547bb54111dd46890eff697a0a238de7.pngtime? The current 

Hello! What is difference from buses and aux aux is more flexible?

Just now, solarlux said:

Hello! What is difference from buses and aux aux is more flexible?

Hi! To put it simply, aux tracks are recordable and 'freezable' but busses aren't, so yeah aux tracks are more flexible. You can route anything to an aux track and record it. 

Here's an example of how I use aux tracks

- route all my all kicks to 'kick aux', all snares to 'snare aux', all toms 'toms aux' and all overheads and room to 'OH aux' 
- process each submix where necessary 
- use aux tracks for fx returns such as snare verb, kit verb, toms verb, parallel compression etc
- route all of these aux tracks to a 'master drum mix' 
- record the 'master drum mix' aux and archive every single drum channel, including every fx send
- freeze the 'master drum mix'

This dramatically reduces CPU load as all processing used on the drums are either frozen, or archived.  I used to do the same thing, but with busses, but busses aren't 'freezable' in Cakewalk so I couldn't offload the bus processing in any way. This is very useful on bigger sessions, especially when using CPU eating plugins like IK Tapes. 

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

On 1/30/2021 at 10:32 PM, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Try bouncing an odd number of tracks or a mix of stereo and mono tracks to a single aux track.

I can record my drum submix (a mix of stereo and mono) to its aux, and freeze no problem. I can export this at ease too.

Are we talking about different things? 

• 3 months later...

An aux track is a regular audio track with a renamed patch point for its input.

They may be created using the menu or by adding an audio track and setting the input to patch point. Rename the patch point as desired.

16 minutes ago, scook said:

An aux track is a regular audio track with a renamed patch point for its input.

They may be created using the menu or by adding an audio track and setting the input to patch point. Rename the patch point as desired.

I know, but adding it with the + button would be faster. Similar to how busses work would be handy.

Edited by Light Grenade
  • Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 10:13 PM, Light Grenade said:

I know, but adding it with the + button would be faster. Similar to how busses work would be handy.

I second this.

It make sense to have all your track inserts like: Aux and Busses in one menu area with your "Track and Midi. Inserts."

Adding this to the "TRACK INSERT MENU" Would be a great addition. 

True what the O.P said. The insert list gets long at times and scrolling to the bottom to insert an AUX is bone wary. 

For me it's not about Aux is better than a buss - just that extra flexibility. I keep all my effects of busses and use patch points for certain drums or for recording a creative effect to blend in with the dry track. So the routing list does get extremely long. 😂 

+1 for this. 

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

maybe have the green section at the top of the list? already create aux tracks or patch points below it?

Which ever one will be the easiest coding for the bakers. 😊

Although: a sub folder with a pop-up window to the section highlighted in red, will look cleaner. ☺

On 5/28/2021 at 6:12 PM, Will_Kaydo said:

Bumping up. 

Can't we place this section highlighted in red, in a Category/Sub folder on this menu? To keep things organized and to have easy access to section that's highlighted in green? 

1785632125_CbBMenufolder.thumb.jpg.239ca1a13d1c1ffca9e928a7a4b9a016.jpg

A very good idea! 

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Only way I see to add an AUX track is thru an existing audio/instrument track dropdown button. Seems obscure and hindersome as I had to search documentation to learn this. Should be more obvious like in the Insert Menu or "+" Add Track button flyout.