Sonar: migration to Cubase

NotASpeckOfCereal

Hi all,

I would like to migrate all of my Sonar projects to Cubase, but apparently the Cubase OMF is for Pro only (not Artist). I really can only afford Artist.

Then I remembered that there was a 1/2 off of Cubase Pro in the old forums. I found that thread and the link to 50% off is still around, but the link is dead.

Are there still any special deals for LIFETIME owners of Sonar to get a deal on Cubase Pro?

Alternatively, are there any known migration paths for Sonar projects to Cubase Artist?

Thanks for any tips.

Chris

40 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Other than that, there's no conversion program I know of to convert SONAR projects to Cubase.

There is migration with using the universal OMF format, but the only version of Cubase that opens it (it seems) is the pro version. I found this topic on the old Sonar forum:

https://www.steinberg.net/en/promotion/homebase_for_sonar_users.html

2 minutes ago, Per Westin said:

Nope AFAIK, but the Competitive Crossgrade to Pro seems ok IMO, click the Buy Cubase link & Pro 11 to see requirements & pricing.

Thanks Per, I've seen the pricing, which puts the full price of the Pro version out of my reach. There was am earlier deal for 50% off for Sonar Lifetime members, as I mentioned, that link is dead. I was posting here in hopes of finding any other path to a discount (legit).

Here is the old thread with the offer, which was last commented on last November, but that forum is now read-only:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/message-from-Greg-Ondo-of-Steinberg-m3691848-p17.aspx

I guess I waited too long to jump on the deal (well, I didn't know about it until today).

Chris

• Like 1

ALSO, I forgot to mention: part of the reason I want to migrate these projects is because I'm REBUILDING THE MACHINE, so I fear that my install of SONAR will be toast after this.

Does anyone know if I can re-install SONAR after wiping this machine?

That would mean that I would not be in a hurry to migrate.

Chris

Yes you can reinstall Sonar providing you have the install files & serial + response code  or  can log in to your old CW account or CW Command Center.
Cakewalk has never locked your licenses to specific hardware (at least since CW Pro was replaced by Sonar around 2002).

I.e. no reason to hurry.🙂

If you´ve lost your login info I think CBB:s support can help you.

Edited by Per Westin

14 minutes ago, SteveC said:

Or try Cakewalk, SONAR's successor?  It's free and will open your projects. 

That's what I did. My old Sonar is still installed, but cakewalk by Bandlab is so much better know, stable, quick, new functions. Why do you still use Sonar? The Platinum stuff works with CbB and The old projects work fine in CbB. And beside that, you can still use Cubase as you like.

There should not be a problem at all.

On 1/27/2021 at 4:57 PM, NotASpeckOfCereal said:

Hi all,

I would like to migrate all of my Sonar projects to Cubase, but apparently the Cubase OMF is for Pro only (not Artist). I really can only afford Artist.

Then I remembered that there was a 1/2 off of Cubase Pro in the old forums. I found that thread and the link to 50% off is still around, but the link is dead.

Are there still any special deals for LIFETIME owners of Sonar to get a deal on Cubase Pro?

Alternatively, are there any known migration paths for Sonar projects to Cubase Artist?

Thanks for any tips.

Chris

On cclarry's (aka Larry Shelby) KVR page:

Cubase 11 Pro - $300 - includes eLicenser and shipping
also includes Spectral Layers Pro 6

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=444861

That's *almost* 50% off the going price today.

Edited by Bapu