Replacing earbuds with IEM?

PhonoBrainer

For general use, and some mix checks, I've been using generic Sony earbuds with bass boost.

Thinking about an upgrade to in ear monitors. More drivers. Seems like 59 bucks and up. Heard about the KZ ZSN. Don't want to buy crap. Wired is just fine, no bluetooth.

Any audiophile recommendations for IEM's? Thanks!

24 minutes ago, Bapu said:

I use https://pro.ultimateears.com/products/ue-reference-remastered ain't cheap ($999USD) but you can get custom mold earpeices by having a qualified audioligist make an impression of your ears.

Thanks, good to know, but I was hoping to aim a little lower than the personal ear mold variety.

Curious, how many drivers do those have?

I've got some Shure SE425s I've had for years - not cheap but if you get the right foam inserts they do insulate well and sound pretty good. They are brilliant plugged in direct to my Yamaha SLG200N silent guitar.

Also great on planes for when the babies start crying (not that I've needed them for that recently). 😂

The SE535s are even better by all accounts but I can't justify that much outlay.

Andy

• Like 1

Here's what I use for live performances and walking now, since my more-expensive IEMs died.  I've had these about a year and a half and a half, lots of use, with no problems.  They fit well in my ear (though YMMV of course).  The sound is quite detailed for the price and sound better than the previous name-brand ones I got years ago that cost several times more.  I wouldn't mix with these, but they have a detailed sound and surprisingly good bass (which is tight and not overly boomy).  The midrange is slightly "forward", but not harsh.  They give a different perspective than my studio monitors and high-end headphones.  They have 5 drivers in each side.  Of course there are better ones out there, but at $39, they are much better than you'd expect for that price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L6DCCB5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1