CbBL won't open, error message seems wrong.

jonathan boose

The error message says "could not open file", followed by wrong statements (see attached image).

There's nothing wrong with my files and holding down 'shift' does nothing.

It seems to occur while the project is loading automation, if that's a clue.

Then another message pops up referencing personalization, which doesn't seem to do anything. see attached image.

The desktop that the DAW is on was offline due to a down wire for a few days but I just installed the latest version of CbB and the latest Windows updates and rebooted. No dice.

Win 10 Pro
Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40 GHz, 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM
64 bit op sys
Lynx Aurora 16 ADC w/ AES16e card

000 automation.jpg

000 personalize.jpg

Edited by jonathan boose

There are two different actions associated when holding down the SHIFT key

• Safe Mode - this is what the first image references.  
  • Partial Personalization - this is what the second image references.

Safe mode runs when the SHIFT key is held down while opening a project. Opening a project in safe mode gives the user an opportunity to skip or step through loading plug-ins. Run Safe mode to attempt to load problem projects.

Partial Personalization runs when the SHIFT key is held down while starting up the DAW. This is part of the process run during install to populate the user directory. Running this after an install restores any files that may be missing from the user folder. Run Partial Personalization to recover missing metronome or drum map files.

I'd like to know why it suddenly doesn't work and I have to jump through hoops to get to where I already was.

The plugins were already working. There wasn't anything that needed to be recovered or restored.

I held down the 'shift' key when the message said "Cakewalk will now personalize" and it was going to allow me to itemize the plugins I'd allow. I clicked "allow all" because everything had been working and the DAW opened but it looked all wrong and I was hearing the reverb without the source so I closed it "don't save". 

This is the first I've ever heard of it. Thanks for revealing the secret that may allow me to open my projects again. I'll report back whether it works or not.

"This hotfix addresses a few problems users have reported since 2021.01 was released. "

Actually, a few is 3 or 4.

Several is usually 4 or so -- under a dozen.

Hotfix claims to fix 17.

I don't understand why a new version of something has to include a multitude of bugs and why some of them are serious enough to crash the program or prevent it from opening.

Thanks, HIBI. 

I "end tasked" the WavesLocalServer and the project opened.

Since Cakewalk people know that Waves plugins are popular and Waves people know that people use Cakewalk, why can't you guys coordinate your programs so that the end user doesn't wind up unable to access their work without going on a fishing expedition first?

Hi, I have the same error message and also running waves. However, killing the waveslocalserver process doesn't help. If I open a file in safe mode I can run the waves plugins BUT that kills all the fader settings so is useless for doing any work. 

Any thoughts on  workarounds gratefully received (or how I can easily rewind to previous version). 

As an aside I also had odd behaviour that the recent files menu wasn;t updating on the previous version...

Kevin

2 hours ago, jonathan boose said:

Hotfix failed. I tried running it as admin with the same result.

And I have no idea what "code 5" is.

See attached image.

000-2021-01-27_123519 fix fail.jpg

Something external is accessing the file. Running the install right after reboot generally should clear it, but if you ran the previous 2021.01 update before, you should be fine if you just skip that file as it's already installed/registered and has not changed. 

As for the original problem, it sounds like there might be an issue with the project file itself rather than the install. Are you able to create new project files? Likewise if you want to send us a project file I can see if it can open on our end.

3 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

As for the original problem, it sounds like there might be an issue with the project file itself rather than the install. Are you able to create new project files? Likewise if you want to send us a project file I can see if it can open on our end.

Maybe I should have been clearer but when I made the subject title "CbB Won't Open", I meant that I couldn't open ANY project files, not just the one.

And I mentioned 2 posts earlier than your response that I opened it on my end. 

I still don't know if it's problem-free.  Read Kevin Curtis' post above.

But I opened it without 'safe mode'.

4 hours ago, Kevin Curtis said:

Hi, I have the same error message and also running waves. However, killing the waveslocalserver process doesn't help. If I open a file in safe mode I can run the waves plugins BUT that kills all the fader settings so is useless for doing any work. 

Any thoughts on  workarounds gratefully received (or how I can easily rewind to previous version). 

As an aside I also had odd behaviour that the recent files menu wasn;t updating on the previous version...

Kevin

You have to have the code word and the secret handshake in the correct order, I think. The hotfix followed by the hotfix fix 😵

I downloaded hotfix build 91 first, then ended the waveslocalserver. Then started it in normal unsafe  mode.

Unless I'm confused and/or wrong, in which case you'll have to wait for an expert to respond. But there's also a rollback installer on this page, should you need it:

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/25035-202101-hotfix-preview-updated-to-build-91/

Edited by jonathan boose

Thank you Jonathan...yeah I totally missed that bit in section c, subsection 12a para 1 part vi 😞   I read that the hotfix didn't fix and that the waveserver was locking the file, so kind of the wrong way round. All good now which is a relied as I am near the end of a lot of misxing and want to get it finished!

Thanks again!

Kevin