How to colaborate?

Nelson André

Hello there,

I'm fairly new to Cakewalk, and I (think I) know the basics to recording audio tracks.

I'm trying to figure out what's the best workflow to collaborate with a friend also using Cakewalk, so we can make some music separately while Covid lasts (and beyond).

What should be the better way to send my parts to him and then he adds his parts and sends it back to me?

I have a folder with :

• Cakewalk Project File
  • Audio folder with 2 WAV files (my 2 audio tracks)

Should I just send him the whole folder?

Thanks.

Nelson

Hi Nelson and welcome to the Cakewalk forums.

I use DropBox for sharing Cakewalk project and audio files.  If your files are small enough, I guess you can send them, but I have not tried sending by e-mail (on account of the file size).  However, I suggest sending the files as separate attachments if you can. 

Kind regards,

tecknot

Yes as he said best to use a cloud storage that you share. See which one allows larger files. I use One Drive to share between my computers at home. 

What's cool about a shared folder is the version stays updated as you both add parts. 

One way to conserve file size is to take finished audio tracks and bounce them to a single track, Then use SAVE AS to make a new file. 

When I once did an online collaboration I converted the bass part to midi using Melodyne. Then I sub mixed the vocal and guitar to one track. Midi is real small. 

When he sent the project back he had added piano and organ which were midi.  I then just opened the original full project and dropped his parts into it.  You can do the same with audio. Just have a working copy and keep the full version in a different folder. 

Just a note. When you are recording to a Dropbox folder, quit Dropbox. Normally it's set to begin copying files to the cloud storage as they are written, and while it often works fine, it will unnecessarily increase the amount of I/O and network communication, which you don't want that when recording.

Once done, you start Dropbox again and it will happily sync everything.

Nelson , Once you both have the same project set up , single tracks can be added to each others project as they are finished. The free version of "We Transfer" will allow up to 2gb file size. No problem with the size of high quality wav files..  If more than one file is uploaded , they are compressed and put in a zipped folder. Both people have a we transfer account , emails are sent when a file is uploaded and downloaded. No other emails or spam.    So when your partner uploads a file to you, you retrieve it , put it on your desktop , then import it to a new track in your project.   Single files are easier. Nothing to unzip or extract.         mark

16 hours ago, Nelson André said:

Hello there,

I'm fairly new to Cakewalk, and I (think I) know the basics to recording audio tracks.

I'm trying to figure out what's the best workflow to collaborate with a friend also using Cakewalk, so we can make some music separately while Covid lasts (and beyond).

What should be the better way to send my parts to him and then he adds his parts and sends it back to me?

I have a folder with :

• Cakewalk Project File

Thanks.

Nelson

Have you tried the way through the Bandlab Cloud Version?
https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022218453-Integration-between-BandLab-and-Cakewalk-

Another way could be this one (but you have to insert the VST in every track):
https://mixedinkey.com/satellite/

All the Best 2 U

17 hours ago, Nelson André said:

Hello there,

I have a folder with :

• Cakewalk Project File

Thanks.

Nelson

I have always used the inbuilt ability of Cakewalk to create Bundle files. These can be sent to another user or put onto a cloud storage area, dropbox, google drive, one drive  etc and be shared to another user. The Bundle file contains all of the project, settings and can include all audio files, all "bundeled" into a single file. If you are using plugins / instruments, they need to be on both users systems to allow complete ability for each user to edit the project. So it's worth sticking to stock included plugins etc. You can however "freeze" tracks and bounce them within the project so that those plugins aren't required on each PC. Hope that makes sense.

Bundles are easy enough to create from your open project. Do a "Save as" and select the filetype as Bundle and tick any relevant boxes for the audio to include.

Edited by NealClark

A buddy and I use My Drive to send bundles back and forth.

One thing I've noticed lately, when I download a bundle from My Drive, the file type is set to "wave" even though the extension is .cwb. I can load it into Cakewalk but it doesn't show up as available unless I change the file open filter to *.*.

Weird.

7 hours ago, michheld said:

Have you tried the way through the Bandlab Cloud Version?
https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022218453-Integration-between-BandLab-and-Cakewalk-

Another way could be this one (but you have to insert the VST in every track):
https://mixedinkey.com/satellite/

All the Best 2 U

BandLab and Cakewalk integration seems very nice.

It will keep everything stored online and accessble to both os us.

Just create a BandLab band and add members.

We can work on BandLab or Cakewalk.

We just want, for know, to make "demo quality" projects, so this seems more than enough.

Will give it a try.

Many thanks to all.

• Great Idea 1