demo2

Hidden Symmetry

11 hours ago, kurt soderquist said:

That was nice and relaxing, more mellow than usual, I like it. Very nice guitar tones. The fretless sounded cool on there. I just converted my cheap jazz to fretless and trying to get used to it, not easy.

thanks kurt, it's a ballad for the album..these are some of my favorite types of tunes to write, quickly inspired & done in an hour  or so.

10 hours ago, jack c. said:

great job recording and chords.jack c.

what vst plugins effects do ya use for mixing/mastering?jack c.

russ freeman,larry carlton,jaco

thanks jack, all sorts of plugins used, sometimes just a simple HPF-LPF on tracks. On the master all I used was a  high shelf eq & a b/w limiter.

3 hours ago, garybrun said:

Very nice...
Loved the horns and guitar

We all paint different pictures...  I would like a warmer sound on the bass and a little more prominent.,,, butthen again it comes in more around 2.17 as you go up the register.

Thanks Gary, fretless & upright basses are always a challenge, the bass he used on this has so much low information that I had to eq it quite a bit, warm but it sat even lower in the mix.  I'll check it again & try adding more in to balance it out..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hidden Symmetry said:

Thanks Gary, fretless & upright basses are always a challenge, the bass he used on this has so much low information that I had to eq it quite a bit, warm but it sat even lower in the mix.  I'll check it again & try adding more in to balance it out..

This could be just the way I am used to listening.
When I play your track through the Avantones the bass sounds good.
Maybe its just the volume of the bass?
This is a good trick if no one knows about it-.

I'm questioning my room tuning now!!  🙂

Edited by garybrun

@Hidden Symmetry Very nice relaxing track. So you played the guitars and bass? Was the horn added by someone else?  I love how these collabs can sometimes come together. Nice work on the mix so far as I can tell on these earbuds. I'm not at home and listening from somewhere besides my studio. The earbuds I'm wearing miss a lot of low information and accentuate the high mids. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wookiee said:

Just the sort of thing to play to bring it down after all the funking jazz groove.

Nice sounds OK here on the Adam's nice clean click on the sidestick with just right level of Kick not to much punch but nice solid beater sound.

Sweeeeet :) 

Thanks Wookiee, appreciate your feedback & helpful comments.

Edited by Hidden Symmetry

1 hour ago, Starise said:

@Hidden Symmetry Very nice relaxing track. So you played the guitars and bass? Was the horn added by someone else?  I love how these collabs can sometimes come together. Nice work on the mix so far as I can tell on these earbuds. I'm not at home and listening from somewhere besides my studio. The earbuds I'm wearing miss a lot of low information and accentuate the high mids. 

Hi Starise, thanks for the feedback. I played guitars & the backing keys pads. The collabs were drums, bass, trumpet & piano..sometimes it's tricky making it sound like a band rather than flown in parts..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, garybrun said:

I'm questioning my room tuning now!!  🙂

DON'T  go by my mixes!!..when I'm in Florida for the winter this my studio, a 2 foot deep closet w/ inexpensive BX5a's & a water heater to boot!

fl_studio_closet.jpg.e6c39c7c27e6d1c478c

I've used that trick from time to time, usually works better with regular kick & typical elec, bass but I don't seem to get good results using it with upright or fret-less..great point though & I'll try it on this track. Thanks again Gary for your help & suggestions- very helpful.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DeeringAmps said:

👍 I like it

t

Thanks Tom

1 hour ago, jack c. said:

high shelf eq & a b/w limiter.simple HPF-LPF on tracks

what companies?jack c.

On tracks DMG's Equick,  iZotope Ozone eq+limiter on the master