Two Status Headphones are now $44

Reid Rosefelt

On 1/26/2021 at 11:33 AM, PavlovsCat said:

I'd love to get insights on these and other affordable monitor headphones. My old AKG pair broke and I need something new and am on a tight budget. I'd love to see people who know this area well weigh in on monitoring headphones under $100 USD. 

If you look at my sig, you'll see that under $100 cans are my thing.

I really liked my Samson SR850/Superlux HD668's, but the magnet for one of the drivers fell off after about a year so I replaced them with a pair of Superlux HD681 EVO's which look and sound similar. Superlux OEM's these to half a dozen different companies including Monoprice, Focusrite and PreSonus. I think I may slightly prefer the sound of the HD668's, but since I can't try them side by side. I'm not completely sure. The stereo image is great on these. For long mixing sessions into the night, these are the most comfortable and easy on the ears of anything I've tried. Importantly, my mixes translate well. Detail is easy to hear. These are the closest to ideal cans I've yet to try, but I'm always up for checking out something that might be better. I'm always kinda chin-scratchy when I hear about amazing cans for under $50.

The Sennheiser HD 200 Pros were a disappointment, sound-wise. Their big advantage is that they isolate well, so I use them for monitoring while tracking. Not recommended.

The Audio-Technica ATH-M40X's sound the most neutral of them, which is good to have around. I'm still getting used to them. I got them after trying a friend's M50's. They kind of have a thud in the bass that I don't care so much for.

On 1/26/2021 at 12:12 PM, Reid Rosefelt said:

My AKGs still sound good but they are crumbling away.

Ah I hate when that happens. Has the decay gone beyond just pad replacement?

this is the profile for the cb1's in Sonarworks. I thought as closed backs they would be good value for vocal work, as I prefer open backs for mixing but they have bleed for recording.

Interested to hear what the bleed is on these cans when recording.

cb1png.png.9b59bdb7f1fc89344a539de9794bc567.png

Edited by Hatstand

FYI, you have 30 days to try them out.  If you don't like them, there is a no-questions-asked refund, which includes free return shipping.

Also, there is a one year warranty for defects within the headphone.  

One of my two CB-1s had a headband that broke.  Honestly I'm not sure which one, it could have been years old, and it could have been my fault, or my cat's fault.   (My cat is constantly knocking my cb-1s onto the floor.)   No matter, Status sold me a new one for half price.  And they couldn't have been easier to deal with.

But treat the headband carefully.  😀

• Like 2

Funny - I just went to their site - and something popped up that said " Edward just bought CB-1 "  So I see you got your second pair. !

Just ordered a pair based on recommends here. Don't disappoint me fellers !

Edited by RBH

I received my package this morning.

The price is definitely right.

I need another pair for an alternate studio.

I have a V.1 AKG 271 set as my go to cans for studio 1.

To compare them is futile.

The differences between the two are  glaring.

They are not without merit though.

Be forewarned that you will need to audition reference material to assess the sonic realm.

I am happy to have them, but they are as different form the AKG 271 as waffles are to pancakes.

(the box they ship in is worth $5 or more, if you like to reuse to present gifts in a fashionable manner.)

10 hours ago, mibby said:

Hrmph.  Here's hoping they don't pull a Musician's Friend move and not deliver....

I realized I used a PayPal email that doesn’t get pushed to my main inbox, so I reached out to their customer service. They responded fairly quickly and matched up things and sent the tracking info. I would reach out to them to see if they might be able to do the same in your situation.

• Thanks 1