Latency recording with an effect in track

Jordi

I want to know if someone using Cakewalk has been able to record an audio track with an effect like Autotune or any amp simulator like amplitube into the track and the input monitoring active.

When i try in an empty project i listen a little latency and when I try in a project with a lot of effects the audio stop.

Some people talk about they can do it in other Daws like Fruity Loops, using autotune many times.

The delay experienced when monitoring through the DAW has two sources the user has control over:

• The buffers used by the audio driver.
  • The buffers used by the plug-ins.

Smaller audio buffers result in smaller delays.

While recording avoid plug-ins designed for mixing and mastering.

• Thanks 1

Yes i set the buffers very low, the latency Cakewalk show me in preferences is: 1.3 ms.

While  recording using input monitoring i hear a little latency.This latency to record a Guitar with amp simulator is no good for me. If i have more tracks with some effects the audio stop.

41 minutes ago, Jordi said:

Yes i set the buffers very low, the latency Cakewalk show me in preferences is: 1.3 ms.

The audio buffer setting is one source..

Plug-ins are the other.

In order to keep all audio in sync, a delay is added based on the track or bus reporting the largest Plug-in Delay Compensation.

To see if plug-ins are the problem, bypass all plug-ins using the FX button in the Mix Module. Of course, this will also bypass ampsims but typically they are designed for real time playback so can be ruled out as the cause of the problem. Bypassing all effects is the first step in isolating the offending plug-in chain. If the delay disappears when plug-ins are bypassed, the delay is plug-in related.

If plug-ins are the problem, re-enable all plug-ins and bypass individual FX racks and ProChannels to determine the offending plug-ins.

Usually the largest sources of plug-in delay compensation are dynamics processors with look-ahead buffers and impulse response based reverbs. Often these plug-ins document the PDC added by their use. Either temporarily delete or replace the plug-ins. Freezing or bouncing and archiving works too.

It is possible to override PDC on the recording track by using the PDC button in the Mix module.

You don't mention which interface you are using which makes a big difference. The design and the ASIO drivers all contribute to Round Trip Latency. ( RTL) 

And if your System can't process the data because of DPC latency your audio engine with bog down when using super low buffer settings. So your Computers specs are also part of the equation. Then your OS and the millions of background tasks also hog DPC by constantly jumping into your buffers and kicking your audio out. 

To achieve super low RTL you need

a top quality interface with real good ASIO drivers.

A fast multi core computer

The Computer needs to be optimized to death. 

Correctly set up your DAW by stripping down the project to bare bones while tracking with effects. 

Running Latency Monitor is a good place to start. 

My Audio Card is an M-audio 410 Firewire.

But i check this latency too using a Presonus Audiobox Usb.

My Pc is an Intel 7 3.60Ghz 8 cores 32 gb ram, SSD hard disk system

In other Computer like this, using a RME Firewire 800 the same issues.