How to apply audio effect on midi?

Rudransh

Question

11 answers to this question

Hi Rudransh,

Are you using and instrument track for your MIDI or do you have an audio track paired with your MIDI track?  If you are using the former then split the track so that you see an audio track for your MIDI.  In the corresponding audio track you should be able to insert your audio effect in the fx bin.

Kind regards,

tecknot

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Funny I didn’t know that you cannot add audio effects to a simple instrument track. I guess that’s why I have never used them. 

Of course audio and MIDI effects may be used with instrument tracks.

The audio FX rack is available in the track header in the track view, the inspector audio tab and console view track strips.

The MIDI FX rack is available in the inspector MIDI tab track strip.

The plug-ins work just like they do in audio and MIDI tracks.

There is no reason to split instrument tracks to use audio or MID FX plug-ins.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tecknot said:

If you are using [an instrument track] split the track so that you see an audio track for your MIDI.  In the corresponding audio track you should be able to insert your audio effect in the fx bin.

1 hour ago, Nigel Mackay said:

Right-click on the track and select Split Instrument Track. You end up with 2 tracks - one with the MIDI data, the other is the audio track; you can add your audio FX here.

Did you try what tecknot said?  If not, try what Nigel Mackay said.

• Thanks 1

@scook    Yes, That's what I would have thought. It was actually the way a few people answered the OP  that I made the assumption that Simple instrument tracks couldn't use audio effects. I've never used one so have no first hand experience.  The correct first answer might have been " Insert the audio effects in the instrument tracks Effects bin or the Pro Channel  FX Chain."  

I used to be in the habit of just trying things myself before answering. Using a phone results in me being incorrect too many times because I can not test. I have to abstain from answering with my phone 🤐

Edited by John Vere