Cakewalk crashing when I use the TTS-1 synthesizer for instruments

Whenever I try to play a track, which makes use of the TTS-1 synthesizer in Cakewalk, I face a serious problem, Cakewalk presents a fatal error, and if it closes abruptly, if someone knows how to solve it, please help me, this is killing me, because I would love to use TTS-1 without any problems. I'll leave a picture of the error in the attachment.

IMG_20190323_214127662[19].jpg

Edited by Thiago Garcia

See the thread immediately below yours. This is an ongoing problem for some users. I have given up on it. I don't really need it as I have various libraries which are much better anyway. It could be Cake is loading an earlier version which is not compatible. So make sure it is loading the latest one that came with CbB.

Hi:)

I have not used TTS-1 it for longer time, but now I found out that it crashes immediately, when I try to write staff in the PRV. Crash without notification!

So I tried Scooks  "Light Load", but no effort. Then I searched for the dlls and found 3 of them.

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared DXi\TTS-1

G:\Cakewalk Content\Shared DXi\TTS-1

G:\vstplugins_64\

I (after backing up) deleted the 2 ones in Partition G and after that no crashes anymore! 

Maybe that helps.

Bassman.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
30 minutes ago, Daryl Young said:

This issue is still persistent now in latter 2021. When will this be fixed? If no fix, then remove/replace it.

Hey, we are just users here, like you. I see that this thread is over 2 years old, and not likely to be monitored any longer by Cakewalk staff.

So  just some general info about TTS-1, it is based on Roland software, and since Roland sold Cakewalk 8 years ago, updates are not very likely. It is still useful for backwards compatibility for projects that were created with TTS-1 back in the day. My recommendation for new projects would be to search for possible modern replacements, as there are many high quality 3rd party synth plugins available either for free, or very low cost now. There is even a thread in the Cakewalk forum dedicated to the free soft synth topic. BandLab has not released any new synths since re-issuing Cakewalk by BandLab in 2018.

If you still think your issue has merit, you can contact support at support@bandlab.com or feel free to post in the feedback forum here: https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/forum/8-feedback-loop/

Edited by abacab
  • Great Idea 3

35 minutes ago, Daryl Young said:

This issue is still persistent now in latter 2021. When will this be fixed? If no fix, then remove/replace it.

This thread is over 2 years old.  The last post is from March 2019.  I am sure there have been newer discussions of TTS-1. Some users have still have certain problems, some users still don't have any problems.  There has been some discussion of different conditions that lead to problems as well as other issues.  If you want to use TTS-1 but can't, you might want to search the forum for some of the newer threads. 

UPDATE: See also the suggestions abacab posted. 

Edited by User 905133
to reference a post that arrived around the same time I was posting this one the same
  • Like 1

Not sure how it crashes but if you load TTS on a brand new project and can play any note without any problems but it crashes when you insert TTS and play any note in the middle of production where there are other plugin instruments, for example SI epiano, already loaded

then this may solve the problem

・deactivate all instruments on synth rack window.

・insert TTS and play some note to see if it crashes.

・then activate all the instruments you deactivated earlier and keep making music.

• 1 year later...

Possible fix to TTS- 1 problems that crash Cakewalk.  Current as of Novemeber 2022.   Update/install from Microsoft's download center, the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer.  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Download/details.aspx?id=35

Details:  Started using Cakewalk a few years ago as a retirement hobby.  TTS-1 worked great even with multiple instances in a project.  W10 PC.  All that I've changed/updated in the last few years are updates to the W10 operating system and Cakewalk software updates.  Cakewalk is currently on Version:  2022.11 (Build 013, 64 bit).  When I first started, I built a new project template with multiple instances of TTS-1 and that's what I've been using for years with no problems when I start a new project.  It still works with 4 instances of TTS; i.e those instances work and I use them for bass guitar, vocal aahs, a lead synth, and a sound effect.  Even if I delete all those instances/tracks and add a new track with a TTS-1 instrument, whenever I either click the opened TTS sound preview icons or the keyboard in the piano roll (i.e. anytime I ask the TTS to produce sound), the entire Cakewalk program immediately crashes.  Since TTS-1 is a DirectX instrument, I did a bunch of experimenting to see what,  if anything, would fix this problems and get things working like they did when I first started.  By using the link above, here is what Microsoft says it does:  "The Microsoft DirectX® End-User Runtime installs a number of runtime libraries from the legacy DirectX SDK for some games that use D3DX9, D3DX10, D3DX11, XAudio 2.7, XInput 1.3, XACT, and/or Managed DirectX 1.1. Note that this package does not modify the DirectX Runtime installed on your Windows OS in any way."  I don't care why this worked, I just know it did.  I'm also not interested in hearing the few bozos on these forums preach about not using multiple instances or quit trying to use old "stuff" and find something new, followed by no recommendations of what, where, or how much the "new" is.  A huge shout out to those on these forums that invest their precious time to help the masses who genuinely need your help.  Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting.  My Win 10 Pro PCs are older (they were manufactured to include Win 7) and I am not sure what DX Libraries they support. So maybe the Win 10 installations detected something about my on-board chips and installed some of the older libraries? TTS-1 has worked consistently on my Audio PCs.

Edited by User 905133
corrections

39 minutes ago, Tree's Studio said:

I'm also not interested in hearing the few bozos on these forums preach about not using multiple instances or quit trying to use old "stuff" and find something new, followed by no recommendations of what, where, or how much the "new" is.  A huge shout out to those on these forums that invest their precious time to help the masses who genuinely need your help.  Thank you.

The few bozos that invest their precious time to help the masses probably appreciate the shout out! ;)

TTS-1 is an old Roland product that was ported from 32 bit to 64 bit a while back, during the time that Roland owned Cakewalk Inc. 

Unfortunately, BandLab doesn't have the source-code for TTS-1, and Roland no longer support it.

Given that TTS-1 tends to behave if it's loaded at the start of a project, my suspicion is that something in the code is using 32-bit variables to hold 64-bit pointers, meaning that as long as the address is "small" enough it'll get away with it - obviously I can't confirm this though.

So if you're going to use TTS-1, make sure it's the very first thing you load.  If you need multiple instances, fine, but load them up front.

In saying that, the sound-set for TTS-1 is exactly the same as what is found in the SoundCanvas - in fact IIRC, the TTS-1 is basically emulating the original SoundCanvas hardware in places.  So for a newer alternative, you could use the Roland Sound Canvas VA.  Roland themselves only seem to offer this directly via their cloud subscription nowadays, but you can purchase it stand-alone elsewhere:  https://www.thomannmusic.com/roland_cloud_sound_canvas_va.htm - it's around $65 US.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

So for a newer alternative, you could use the Roland Sound Canvas VA.  Roland themselves only seem to offer this directly via their cloud subscription nowadays, but you can purchase it stand-alone elsewhere

Last time I checked, if you sign up for the free basic Roland Cloud (no subscription), you can buy lifetime keys from them. But they want $69 for the SC VA.

https://www.roland.com/cloud/memberships

Your Free Roland Account Includes

ZENOLOGY Lite software synth
Purchase Lifetime Keys for instruments, sounds, and patterns
30-day free trial of Ultimate with membership for new customers
Zenbeats Music Creation Software

On 11/19/2022 at 7:21 AM, Tree's Studio said:

Possible fix to TTS- 1 problems that crash Cakewalk.  Current as of Novemeber 2022.   Update/install from Microsoft's download center, the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer.  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Download/details.aspx?id=35

Details:  Started using Cakewalk a few years ago as a retirement hobby.  TTS-1 worked great even with multiple instances in a project.  W10 PC.  All that I've changed/updated in the last few years are updates to the W10 operating system and Cakewalk software updates.  Cakewalk is currently on Version:  2022.11 (Build 013, 64 bit).  When I first started, I built a new project template with multiple instances of TTS-1 and that's what I've been using for years with no problems when I start a new project.  It still works with 4 instances of TTS; i.e those instances work and I use them for bass guitar, vocal aahs, a lead synth, and a sound effect.  Even if I delete all those instances/tracks and add a new track with a TTS-1 instrument, whenever I either click the opened TTS sound preview icons or the keyboard in the piano roll (i.e. anytime I ask the TTS to produce sound), the entire Cakewalk program immediately crashes.  Since TTS-1 is a DirectX instrument, I did a bunch of experimenting to see what,  if anything, would fix this problems and get things working like they did when I first started.  By using the link above, here is what Microsoft says it does:  "The Microsoft DirectX® End-User Runtime installs a number of runtime libraries from the legacy DirectX SDK for some games that use D3DX9, D3DX10, D3DX11, XAudio 2.7, XInput 1.3, XACT, and/or Managed DirectX 1.1. Note that this package does not modify the DirectX Runtime installed on your Windows OS in any way."  I don't care why this worked, I just know it did.  I'm also not interested in hearing the few bozos on these forums preach about not using multiple instances or quit trying to use old "stuff" and find something new, followed by no recommendations of what, where, or how much the "new" is.  A huge shout out to those on these forums that invest their precious time to help the masses who genuinely need your help.  Thank you.

I tried this and still get the crash. I'm not surprised especially considering the efforts to resolve this in the past. So I think the rule of "Use it first, use it fast, freeze and get out" still applies. But thanks for this. I'm glad to see others are still looking for a potential solution.

One difference though is that it just closes CbB rather than giving the usual crash error. Might be unrelated.

Edited by TBK

6 hours ago, TBK said:

Yeah, I know about SC. Some days I think I might get it. Then I don't Lol. I use the Munt MT32 emulator mostly for this stuff. TTS did have a couple of sounds I liked but not enough to spend money on the SC.

I've got an MT-32 and I used to have a Sound Canvas.

The MT32 is an 2nd generation LA synth, where very short attack samples are combined with an early version of virtual analog synthesis.

The Sound Canvas is completely sample based.

Although there are sounds in the Sound Canvas that have obviously been sampled from the D50 (a 1st generation LA synth), the MT32 and Sound Canvas sound very different.

• Thanks 1

I had a D50 at one time. Wish I had kept it. I still have my MT32 and D110.  I wrote an editor for both so I get the gist of how they work. The original MT32 was way too noisy, especially the reverb. D110 was better. 

I'll check out the SC VST more.

Thanks as always!

Edited by TBK