Eleventh Symphony, 4th movement

Jerry Gerber

In my mid-40s, after doing soundtrack work for 12 years, I decided that I didn't want to do any more composing for media. I found an exercise, a Buddhist exercise, that helped me to make a decision about what I wanted to do for the next phase of my life.

One lays down on the floor wearing comfortable clothing and flat on their back and relaxes and takes deep breaths and imagines they're 80 or 90 years old at the very end of their life with only a few hours left to live in this world. During this relaxation exercise ask yourself what did you do that you wish you hadn't and what did you not do that you really want to do. This little exercise helps clarify, using the imagined perspective of being an old person, what it is you really want your life to be about and what's going to be most meaningful for you to pursue. I decided that I wanted to write virtual symphonies and that is what I've been doing. I'm now turning 70 tomorrow and I'm still glad I was able to clarify my goals as a composer.

Here's the Fourth Movement of my 11th symphony. Scored for VSL Orchestral Cube, software synths Dune and Zebra and Requiem Pro choir.  If you give me 10 minutes of your time I'll give you a piece of my world.

Thanks for listening,
Jerry

PLAY

Edited by jsg
  • Like 3

Great piece ! Well composed, arranged and produced, with nice synth sounds,
Varied and interesting, renewed every now and then, going from brightness to darkness and back again. A real journey!
Congratulations for your work!

37 minutes ago, Grebz said:

Great piece ! Well composed, arranged and produced, with nice synth sounds,
Varied and interesting, renewed every now and then, going from brightness to darkness and back again. A real journey!
Congratulations for your work!

Thank you Grebz, I'm so glad you enjoyed the music.

Jerry 

I  enjoyed the listen. Great combination of elements. This is somewhere in between cinematic and traditional orchestral music to my ears and a departure from many other tracks that are capturing a film scene. While it could be used for that purpose I hear it as more of a stand alone work designed for pure listening.

Edited by Starise

3 hours ago, Starise said:

I  enjoyed the listen. Great combination of elements. This is somewhere in between cinematic and traditional orchestral music to my ears and a departure from many other tracks that are capturing a film scene. While it could be used for that purpose I hear it as more of a stand alone work designed for pure listening.

Thanks for listening Starise! I'm glad that my intention for the composition came through to you. 

• Like 1

Hey Jerry . . . delightful to listen to. While classical in it's presentation, you have infused some modern synthesized  sequencers very effectively, and wow ! what an intricate tapestry you've accomplished here. Moments of mathematical and soul at the same time. Liking the way your theme develops and recurs in different forms. The choral aspect is a nice addition, but I can't hear the lyrics . . . but maybe that's just the singer in me , wanting to understand them  ? Ya' I know it's Requiem Choir, but . . .

In fact, you took 20 minutes of my time on this Friday night (once on speakers, and once on headphones) So good Jerry, always so good !

1 hour ago, noynekker said:

Hey Jerry . . . delightful to listen to. While classical in it's presentation, you have infused some modern synthesized  sequencers very effectively, and wow ! what an intricate tapestry you've accomplished here. Moments of mathematical and soul at the same time. Liking the way your theme develops and recurs in different forms. The choral aspect is a nice addition, but I can't hear the lyrics . . . but maybe that's just the singer in me , wanting to understand them  ? Ya' I know it's Requiem Choir, but . . .

In fact, you took 20 minutes of my time on this Friday night (once on speakers, and once on headphones) So good Jerry, always so good !

Wow, Noynekker, that's really gratifying to hear.  When I compose I never have a particular audience in mind, I write what my heart and mind imagine  and wants to hear.  When another person finds meaning in my work, it's very satisfying.   As far as the choral, I am looking for a VST choral library that allows me to actually construct real words.  Requiem Pro is very good,  the Latin syllables allow me to arrange the syllables that work well as sound, but with no literal meaning.   If I can find a library that is recorded as well as Requiem Pro that has a sophisticated word builder, I'd buy it in a second.  East West has one called "Hollywood Choirs" (ech!  I already hate the name) but I hear that the word builder is the best part and the choir voices themselves lack definition and depth.  I can't wait for someone to produce a choir that has SATB recorded superbly so that staccatos and marcatos are crisp (like Requiem Pro) but with a sophisticated word builder.  If anyone knows of a library like that, please tell me!

Best,

Jerry

Edited by jsg