Bram Wheeler

Looking for some help

Been away for some time

I upgraded my machine to an i9 with 16GB & 2 SSD 1Terabyte drives

I was on an i7, with platter drives

Both machines were running Win10Pro

I had the drives “cloned” hoping to avoid massive reinstalls

My i7 was running a Firewire MAudio 2626

So I just got around to firing up my studio software which was Sonar Platinum. Control Centre suggested an update – which crashed. The suggested rollback toasted Sonar. The forum guys laughed at me & said to download & install Cakewalk by Bandlab – which I did

I loaded a previous file & hit play. No sound.

I couldn’t tell you why I did things in this order, but I did.

My first assumption was that my new machine was not compatible with MAudio’s old driver. Looking for a new one I discovered there wasn’t one, and a lot of people in the 2 forums were ranting about MAudio “abandoning” their users. I figured Firewire was done anyway, so I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 and set it up. No sound from my monitors, but the head phone jack works. I have no idea if the MAudio headphone jack was working – I never checked.

If the headphones are working, it must be the amp, right? Or the cables.

Bought a new amp, hooked it up – it’s not the amp or cables

So now I’m back to thinking it’s a Windows setting. I also “toggled” my taskbar speaker setting

Using Device Manager I can tell you this:

Under Audio inputs and outputs I have:

Analogue 1+2 (Focusrite USB Audio)

Realtek Digital Output (Realtel High Definition audio)

Speakers (Focusrite USB Audio)

Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Another heading in Device Manager is: Focusrite Audio

Scarlett 18i20 USB

Software Root

USB Software Root

Cakewalk Preferences

Audio devices – Input& output – I checked averything available

Focusrite usb ASIO 1-7, loop and playback  Digital 1,3,5,7.9

Driver settings are Focusrite USB ASIO output & input 1

Midi device in & out = Focusrite USB midi

Sorry about the essay - anyone have any ideas to fix this?? Any help greatly appreciated

A # 1 cause of no sound can me your Master bus is sending to your digital outputs instead of the 1/2 analog outs. Check your master bus output. 

And make sure in all the pages of your Cakewalk Audio preferences that only your audio interface is checked and showing. Make sure your set for ASIO. 2021-01-24.png.5b361798ba484c785162be740b62016c.png884597533_2021-01-24(2).png.98e72f5bd18958471ad536544aa04ea2.png

Really appreciate you guys trying to help me

Focusrite is the only  audio interface checked in Cakewalk that I ca see - master output is Focusrite USB ASIO Output 1

Not sure I understan what you mean by signal path - Cakewalk USB to Focusrite - analog outs 1&2 to my amp - the only thing on the amp (SLA-1) there are 2 ins & 2 outs

If it's working in headphones, then it's more likely the routing in the 18i20's mix software isn't set up properly.

You need to make sure that "Mon 1" is routed to the hardware outs 1 & 2.

Unfortunately I've got an older 18i20 (with different mix software), so showing you my screen-shot probably won't help.

TO msmcleod

Thanks for helping

If you mean Focusrite Control - Inputs show Analogue 1&2 - choices are line,inst, air, pad - inst,air,pad are blank, analogue is greyed i

Outputs shows analoge 1&2 with a green slider (won't slide up)

To the right 2 more boxes (1&2) grey

Manual seemed to indicate a "generic" set up would be good to start - maybe not so much

4 minutes ago, Bram Wheeler said:

TO msmcleod

Thanks for helping

If you mean Focusrite Control - Inputs show Analogue 1&2 - choices are line,inst, air, pad - inst,air,pad are blank, analogue is greyed i

Outputs shows analoge 1&2 with a green slider (won't slide up)

To the right 2 more boxes (1&2) grey

Manual seemed to indicate a "generic" set up would be good to start - maybe not so much

I'm not familiar with the new Focusrite Control (my interface uses Scarlett Mix Control).

The analog inputs aren't what you need to be looking, you should be looking at what is being routed to the analog outputs.

I think this video may help ( around 2:13 talks about hardware outputs )